10K or 18K Mod??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokerDude, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 916 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
10K or 18K Mod???

I have been loking and looking for a thread that I know has talked about to mod where you wire a resistor into the IPR lead. I cannot find that thread or mod instructions. Can sombody help me out....

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Actually it intercepts the signal from the ICP sensor and gives the PCM a lower reading, so the computer raises ICP.

See here http://forgotton.net/mods/indexframe.html
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, great mod to kill the transmission.

The PCM uses "load" to calculate both proper engine and transmission controls.

When you LIE to the PCM it thinks one thing (lower load) is happening when really much higher engine loads are taking place. This is sort of like telling the transmission you are at part throttle when you are at WOT. The shift strategies and line pressures will be WAY off for the actual operating conditions.

Then people get mad that the trans did not last under increased power. Nope, it was killed.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Oh. I thought it was just something that just cause the computer to raise injection pressure. I have been thinking mine has been running somewhat low pressure, I thought it might be one of those cheap "until I can afford to do it right" temporary fixes.

Alex C.

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
Yea, great mod to kill the transmission.

The PCM uses "load" to calculate both proper engine and transmission controls.

When you LIE to the PCM it thinks one thing (lower load) is happening when really much higher engine loads are taking place. This is sort of like telling the transmission you are at part throttle when you are at WOT. The shift strategies and line pressures will be WAY off for the actual operating conditions.

Then people get mad that the trans did not last under increased power. Nope, it was killed.
One reason to go with a good chip.

Surely you're not suggesting everyone leave their trucks completely stock. :uhoh2:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

No, mod the H#LL out of it, but do it the CORRECT way, inside the PCM.

Another big problem with the later trucks is that the ECM and TCM are no longer integrated into a PCM, but are seperate "stand alone" modules. Many people can program the ECM, but only one tuner has the extensive knowledge to get into the TCM and make the required changes there as well.

I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:24 AM

You mean with the 6.0 ?

Good info John, thanks.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Right,

The 5R110 uses a stand-alone TCM data-linked to the ECM. Programming the ECM is *relatively* easy, the TCM is a completely different story.

On the 6.4L PSD everything is locked down pretty well. I predict we will see a LOT of engine troubles when the ECMs are fiddled with, or the injector tips are swapped for higher flow ones. This will cause the engine to make WAY more power, but the trans will be clueless.

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
great info... cept my truck is a 7.3 and this is the 7.3 section...

is it still the same on the 7.3?? and if so, what is that one chip that does all that???

Alex C.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the PCM on the 7.3L does both Engine and Transmssion stuff, you lie to the PCM, you get crappy engine and transmission functions.

Lots of tuners *can* get to the transmission controls on the 7.3L PSDs, the real question is do they?

If the trans is properly controlled with the PCM, there is little if any reason, to go with aftermarket trans parts like shift kits etc.

I am reluctant to support SCT anymore as they have gone from the most open source of proper information to being very tight lipped. None-the-less, SCT software still offers the best transmission controls you can get, and the best (IMO) tuning because of the propietary knowledge they have over everyone else.

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode