The Diesel Garage banner

Engine Swap

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Franken-stroke 
#1 ·
Just bought a 94 F-250 5 speed with a early gen 1 powerstroke, i am wanting to do a engine swap, need a little info.

I would like to swap in a DT466 but if my measurements are correct it is too long, dont want to doghouse the firewall or have to place the radiator in the bed, so i am considering a DT360, i know it will fit. Any info on this motor would be great. I'm not looking to make it super radicial or anything, just somethig to play with.

DieselE:smoke

#3 ·
thanks for the reply wreckerman,

Just want something that i can play with, love the powerstroke but its too hard to play with, tuners, squirters are expensive, turbos are limited, not a real fan of heui. I do love my powerstroke. Just want to do something different, have never seen anyone put a true International engine in a ford pickup, everyone is puttin in a cummins, i want to go the same route but stick with the binder...

I just didnt know anything about the 360 engine.. Just wanted to know if its a junk engine or is it a decent chioce for a swap, ill make it run and for half money of a stroker... Its got a inline pump, easy to turn up or swawp with a bosch, cut the sqiurters and go with a bigger turbo..

Thanks for any additional info..

New to the site but love it so far..

D:smoke

#4 ·
Certainly you can make decent power out of a DT360, but it's still a bit of slouch. It was a low powered engine from the factory built for school buses and city pickup and delivery, stuff that doesn't need a lot of power.

I know you want a IH engine, but there are other engines that will work and aren't common in swaps. The CAT 3208 will fit, but it's not much of an engine, I don't like them. CAT had another V8 that was decent, I think it was an 1116, can't be sure on the series number. It would be a tight squeeze but work.

It's hard to beat the price per HP and reliability of the Cummins 6B engine family. You will be hard pressed to find an engine that will fit in a pickup easily. The DT466 and 530 engines are excellent engines, good runners and make decent power even stock. Putting one in a truck is a bit of a trick though, it's a really tight squeeze.

#5 ·
I have seen pics off a dt466 in a truck, Ill try to find a link! But the radiator was in the bed, and under the hood was all motor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.