Possibly buying an early 99 f-350. lots of questions for you guys! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bigguy75inches, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 911 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Possibly buying an early 99 f-350. lots of questions for you guys!

Hey guys, Im looking to buy a work truck and came across a pretty good deal. However i know nothing about the 7.3 motors. My only diesel experiance is my 2004 6.0 piece of crap harly davidson edition f250.

Ok that being said..

the truck is a 1 ton 1999 built something like 10/98.

short cab flat bed dually. I think it has 4.10s

Its just a 2wd work truck. vinyl bench seat and floor.

it has 97,000 miles on it.

I install Tile flooring for a living and the truck belonged to another tileman who passed away. i knew him personally and he was just an old man who was easy on the truck.

Its been sitting for 2 years now. due to legal issues cuz he died. they are just now able to sell the truck.

I went and found the batterys were dead. i charged them up and it took awhile for it too fire up. I drove it a bit and it seemed like it was sluggish. the more i drove it the more responsive it became. its still slow as can be to me tho.

Its a 6speed manual btw. Im thinking i will need to change all the fluids and filters, drain the gas too. the turbo seemed sticky at first but after 2 blocks it seemed to free up and be smooth.

So here are the questions id like to know more about.

First off, should i be scared of this truck with 97k on the clock?

second, Will a chip wake the motor up on these trucks?

3, A friend mentioned something about the flexplate having issues on these trucks, and i noticed a wierd vibration noise that occurs whent he motor is in a slight bind under 1000 rpms. sounds like in the tranny area. And its a differnt noise than a motor lugging.

4th, What problems seem to be the most common with these trucks? will i have headgasket issues like with my 04 6.0?

5th, what kinda mpg should i expect.

6th, do you think 8000 is a resonable offer for this truck? it has some faded paint on hood, and flatbed and toolboxes are getting rusty. inside is soooo dirty. it needs alot of good mateniace to get it dependable again.

7th, I have a buddy who said the slave clyinders are known to go out alot. is this something i should worry about. on the test drive i was at times having hard time gettin the truck to shift smoothly.

Im sorry for the noob questions but im wanting to make an offer tomorrow and i am needin some inside info quick before i make a descision to buy it and regret it later. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 06:27 AM
4cstr

I moved this out of the chip/tuner forum so that more 7.3L guys could see it. I'll add my responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy75inches
Hey guys, Im looking to buy a work truck and came across a pretty good deal. However i know nothing about the 7.3 motors. My only diesel experiance is my 2004 6.0 piece of crap harly davidson edition f250.

Ok that being said..

the truck is a 1 ton 1999 built something like 10/98.

short cab flat bed dually. I think it has 4.10s

Its just a 2wd work truck. vinyl bench seat and floor.

it has 97,000 miles on it.

I install Tile flooring for a living and the truck belonged to another tileman who passed away. i knew him personally and he was just an old man who was easy on the truck.

Its been sitting for 2 years now. due to legal issues cuz he died. they are just now able to sell the truck.

I went and found the batterys were dead. i charged them up and it took awhile for it too fire up. I drove it a bit and it seemed like it was sluggish. the more i drove it the more responsive it became. its still slow as can be to me tho.

Its a 6speed manual btw. Im thinking i will need to change all the fluids and filters, drain the gas too. the turbo seemed sticky at first but after 2 blocks it seemed to free up and be smooth.

So here are the questions id like to know more about.

First off, should i be scared of this truck with 97k on the clock?
Nope...with 97k...especially on an early99...thats just getting broke in

Quote:
second, Will a chip wake the motor up on these trucks?
Yep. I love my DP-tuner F5. You may want to consider updating to a later model PCM. Not sure what early 99 handshakers came with...but the original XLE programming in my truck stunk. I updated to a PMT computer and its night and day different.

Quote:
3, A friend mentioned something about the flexplate having issues on these trucks, and i noticed a wierd vibration noise that occurs whent he motor is in a slight bind under 1000 rpms. sounds like in the tranny area. And its a differnt noise than a motor lugging.
Sorry...I have no experience with manual trannys.

Quote:
4th, What problems seem to be the most common with these trucks? will i have headgasket issues like with my 04 6.0?
The headgaskets on the 7.3L are more robust than the 6oh, and are harder to pop. There are no common issues I can think of. Check the intake. The early 99's came with a crappy intake box that pulled air from the fender. It didn't seal well, and let junk into the turbo. If it still has the original intake...get that outa there and replace with something better, even if its a Tymar intake. That will also help that turbo sing.

Quote:
5th, what kinda mpg should i expect.
Again...not to sure. I get 12-15 from mine tooling around town...but I have an auto and 3.73's. I would think that 9-13 would be reasonable with a manual and 4:10's.

Quote:
6th, do you think 8000 is a resonable offer for this truck? it has some faded paint on hood, and flatbed and toolboxes are getting rusty. inside is soooo dirty. it needs alot of good mateniace to get it dependable again.
I'm horrible as guessing worth. Shoot them the offer and see what they say.

Quote:
7th, I have a buddy who said the slave clyinders are known to go out alot. is this something i should worry about. on the test drive i was at times having hard time gettin the truck to shift smoothly.
Sorry again...but I have no experience with handshakers.

Quote:
Im sorry for the noob questions but im wanting to make an offer tomorrow and i am needin some inside info quick before i make a descision to buy it and regret it later. thanks!
Sounds like a decent truck. If all it needs is some elbow grease to bring it back to life. That motor is a dependable motor and as long as its had normal maitenance done to it...shouldn't give you any troubles.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

do you think the 6.0's are faster than the 7.3 in comparable trucks? im want to be able to pull my 5k trailer at 70-75 with no problems. my 6.0 truck stock didnt want to do that.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 05:46 PM

I pull my 13K lb trailer with mine and it has no problem. I also put some fun toys on it like 4" pipes, superchip, intake. But, it did fine before all that.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 PM