Just bought my first diesel....... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Mustang50, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 734 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Just bought my first diesel.......

I'm feeling the buyers remorse, so I'd like someone to tell me I did the right thing. I just bought this truck,

http://www.carsoup.com/used/detail.a...DealerGroupID=

I feel like an idiot because I didn't throughly look it over on the test drive. It rode really nicely, and seemed to have lots of power though. My biggest concern was body damage and rust, so for some reason checking for mechanical issues didn't cross my mind. Oh, and how bad is this, I didn't even open the hood!!! There is some rust and peeling paint along the inside bottom of 3 doors and the fenders, but I got them to agree to repair it. There was also a dent about the size of a baseball on the front right fender near the headlight that they'll also fix. I hope they don't do a bad job repainting it. Anyways, as I'm typing this I'm remembering all the area's I should have checked but didn't. I wont have the truck till about a week from now so they can repair it, so I hope its not too late to back out if I need to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 PM

the link didn't work, and don't feel bad, i bought my truck on ebay from 1000 miles away... i wouldn't ever do it again, but i did it.

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thats weird, the link works just fine for me.

The truck is a 2002 F-350 7.3, crew cab, short box, auto, with 111,236 miles. I paid, or am going to pay, $18,995. Thats an alright price around here if you can even find a 7.3. For the most part I'm very concerned with how well the dealership fix's the rust and peeling paint. I don't want to pay that much for a truck that looks like crap right from the start. What do I say if I'm not satisfied with the results? I'm sure they wont even touch the truck till the financing goes through, so wouldn't it be too late for me if I am in fact not satisfied?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 11:46 PM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71

If you don't feel good about it, call them and tell them you changed your mind. You can alway find a truck, for that much I would not buy anything that has a spec of rust on the body.

1999 F-350 7.3L CREW CAB DUALLY, LIVE TUNING BY DP TUNER, 180cc SINGLES, REGULATED RETURN FUEL SYSTEM, PRE-PUMP AND IN TANK FUEL SYSTEM AND OVER BOOST ANNIHILATOR BY ITP DIESEL, DR MINI PACKS TO LEVEL THE RIDE, 6" AUSSIE STACKS BY GRANDROCK, AFE STAGE II INTAKE, TURBO MODS BY HTT, 05 HEAD LIGHT CONVERSION WITH UPGRADE WIRING HARNESS BY DFUSER, 05 GRILL, 05 6 SPEED UPGRADE, SHORT THROW SHIFTER AND LUK CLUTCH BY MIDWEST TRANSMISSION , CCV MOD, LINE-X , QUAD POD FILLED WITH AUTO METER C2 GUAGES, CUSTOM SLED PULLING HITCH, COOLANT FILTER SETUP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 AM

just remember that you are the buyer... they are trying to sell it to you... believe me, there are plenty of quality used ford diesels out there, you just have to be patient. 18 grand gives you a lot of options...

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 AM
97F-3504X4PSD

. I can not say it strong enough. You are the buyer!!!!!! If you are not completely satisfied or even just feel funny about the deal, walk away. Ebay and Autotrader are excellent options. If you are patient you can find the exact truck you have been looking for. It took me lookin 2 months on Autotrader and then flying 800 miles to drive it home. if you follow this route, get you a checklist of all your questions about the truck before you agree to anything.

97, F-350, 7.3 PSD, OBS, 4X4, Reg. Cab, SRW, 4.10 gears w/ Locking rear, 235-85/R16s, Shimmed FPR, Zoo Dad, DIY intake, Turbo friendly Cat., Transgo Tugger Kit(RacerX).

Next(3"-3.5"-4" downpipe & 4" Exhaust)

"You may take a bullet, but you will never take one of my guns"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Your exactly right, first thing Monday morning I will call the dealership and tell them I've changed my mind. I don't feel good about this deal even if they manage to repair it.

I've been looking for a truck for a solid 3 months now, and overreacted when I saw this one. I know the exact truck I want, and it was only available for 4 months in 2003. The chances of me finding it, especially in my price range, are pretty slim. But we'll see............
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 AM

Yeah i did the same thing i walked on a few till i found the one i wanted and i was only spending 3 grand. Its not perfect but perfect for me Your spending 6 times that much i couldn't deal with that stress h
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Dieselis' Maximus

Yah if u feel Hesitant about it dont DO IT!!! like said there are plenty of great used Diesels out there. I got mine it was in a minor accedent i found out after i bought it. but they repaired it so well i couldnt tell by looking at it. low miles had lots of extras to. Keep looking I say especially if u feel hesitant.

"Why in hell can't the Army do it if
the Marines can. They are the same
kind of men; why can't they be like
Marines."
Gen. John J "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode