Dually F350 conversion - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by TowRig, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1632 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to TowRig
Dually F350 conversion

What would I have to do in order to convert my 2000 F250 into a F350? New Dana 80 dually rear axle, new dana 60 front, what else?

Any input would be great.

Thanks
AJ

2000 F-250 PSD Extended Cab Short Bed
-AutoMeter Gauges;Pyro, Tranny, Boost, Rear Diff, Fuel Pres, Air Pres.
-MBRP Turbo back, muffler delete
-AFE Stage II
-ITP Oil HPX Line
-CCV Mod
-AIH Delete

Trail rig: 1990 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0 I6, NP231 w/ SYE, Clayton Off road Long arm Suspension with coil conversion in rear, Full width Dana 44 up front(ARB, Warn Hubs and US Alloys Chromoly Axle shafts), full width Dana 60 in rear with Spool. 4.88 Gears all around, 36 inch Interco Bias Irok's, and lots of trail damage. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:09 AM

New VIN#?
Swapping in the parts does not change the sticker on the door, thats what the insurance company and troopers will read.
A new decal for the door is proper if you hit the highway. If you have a problem the weight on each axle has to be covered with the tire side walls and the weight rating on the sticker.
The boss used to have a solution that would lift a sticker to move it to a different truck. Might check on decales at the hobby shop.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 03:05 AM

wow... that would be a conversion and a half, most likely cheaper and less of a headache with the DMV and the Police to go buy a dually... but if you are up for it, more power to you. that dana 60 front end is going to need gear matched to the dana 80. also looking at the rear springs if they don't come with the axle. good luck.

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I understand the DMV issue, i was told i might be able to reregister it as a remanufactured vehicle and otherwise is the difference beteween the two axles, springs, brakes and anything else?

Thanks for the input so far

AJ

-AFE Stage II
-ITP Oil HPX Line
-CCV Mod
-AIH Delete

Trail rig: 1990 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0 I6, NP231 w/ SYE, Clayton Off road Long arm Suspension with coil conversion in rear, Full width Dana 44 up front(ARB, Warn Hubs and US Alloys Chromoly Axle shafts), full width Dana 60 in rear with Spool. 4.88 Gears all around, 36 inch Interco Bias Irok's, and lots of trail damage. :
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Riding solow on the Hog

Garage
The only difference between the 250 and 350 is the suspension and rear axle. Well, that and the badges....

"MOby" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3 4x4. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a new "secret" blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its still not the fastest, but its quick enough to worry lots!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 AM

You'll need a D80 rear and the adapters to use dually wheels on your front axle (Ford parts) The front axles are the same on SRW and DRW (assuming you have a D60 and not the D50) Ford just bolts on adapters. You can use a D50 front with the adapters, just don't plan on adding a plow. You'll also need fenders, they just bolt on, no trimming (of your SRW bed) is needed, even though the factory dually's have modified inner fender (don't know why) they're not necessary. Obviously, you'll need 7 wheels (if you want a spare)

Believe it or not, the rear springs on SRW F350 and DRW F350 are the same (assuming the SRW has factory overloads) I have a set of each in my garage, no difference. I have seen F250's with overloads and SRW F350's without them so it's pot luck. Your F250 is probably different, but airbags or Timbrens would be a good alternative.

As far as registration, that's a complex issue. Most states will allow you to register a truck for whatever weight you're willing to pay. The DOT can enforce CDL rules on vehicles modified to haul more weight than originally spec'd (above 26,001) so they recognize undocumented vehicle modifications as they relate to (increased) capacity. Any aftermarket upfitter can supply a sticker for your door jam to reflect the new GVWR (assuming they are willing, which is not likely do to liability issues) I'd just tag it for 10K and keep some documentation of your modifications JIC.

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:30 AM

Seen it done, took a picture of a guy who put a dually axle under a Dodge ram with no wheel coverings. The picture was out the dirty window of the F250 but if you look hard you can see the two wheels sticking WAY out!

00 Excursion 7.3 4x4 Limited (wifes)
99 F350 7.3 4x4 Lariat crew cab DRW
99 F250 7.3 4x4 xlt x-cab
00 BMW 328CI 2dr silver fully loaded (wifes)
69 GTO 400 4spd
65 Mustang 289 (wifes)
04 and 09 15yrd PJ dump trailers
04 H&H 20ft tilt bed trailer
98 7x14 Haulmark trailer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

My 250 has overloads and I have Firestone bags in the rear. Looks like I will try and get the Dana 80 for the rear and then go from there with the front, i have a line on fenders so if i get the rear end I will try and get the fenders.

Thanks all

Anymore input would be great.

AJ

-AFE Stage II
-ITP Oil HPX Line
-CCV Mod
-AIH Delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode