Blow off valve? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Shadowskater, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 559 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Blow off valve?

Hey guys I am very interested in a blow off valve for my truck, but I cannot seem to find one, I read somewhere that they do not make them for powerstrokes because they do not have a throttle plate, but I have seen a powerstroke with one before. I did some more searching and found this. Is this how expensive they are? And does anyone have experience with these in your diesel? Thanks in advance guys. :Thumbup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:29 AM

not worth the money with no throttle plate like u mentioned its a waste of money save your stock turbo by getting a wicked wheel, ported ats housing, or bigger exhaust housing:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:41 AM

the only reason a blowoff valve exists on any gasoline engine is because at shifts when the throttle valve closes, there is a pressure spike that has to be relieved. With a diesel (not just a powerstroke), the engine's demand for air may reduce at load relief or rpm reduction, but not sharply enough to require any pressure relief in addition to air flowing back out around the turbo and out the intake. now if you're having surge problems, follow 03f3507.3's advice.

save the blowoff valves for turbo'd fart can civics.

paul

2002 Arizona Beige F250 Ext Cab Short Bed. 7.3L 6spd 4x4 140k
2" leveling kit, 285/75 Mastercraft AT2's,Napa BFF, DiPricol Pryo/Boost, DP F5 NS/stock/hi/40/80/120/140agg-lope, Toolbox, Audio goodies, IH shiftknob
muffler delete, CCV reroute, AIH/Foil delete,
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Unhappy

Personally I think they sound amazing:, itís just too cool, a friend of mine apparently dropped the money into, but I was impressed:sofa . Yeah that is way too much money thoughfor basically zero functionality; I was reading up more about them just now and found all the same consensus, ugh. Oh well hehe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 AM

Banks makes a blow off valve for the 99-03 powrstrokes, they dont show it on their website you would have to call them and get the catalog they show it in there.Its called the banks big head wastegate it raises the peak boost, the spring in the stock powerstrokes wastegate is 1LB the banks is 20lbs .They also make a new compressor wheel that eliminates compressor surge and a new housing.http://www.banksdiesel.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 AM

If you go on their website and go into the 99-03 powerstroke section you can see the blow off valve, compressor wheel, and turbo housing thats in the powerpack system.You can buy each of them seperate if you want too.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsmoke!?
Banks makes a blow off valve for the 99-03 powrstrokes, they dont show it on their website you would have to call them and get the catalog they show it in there.Its called the banks big head wastegate it raises the peak boost, the spring in the stock powerstrokes wastegate is 1LB the banks is 20lbs .They also make a new compressor wheel that eliminates compressor surge and a new housing.http://www.banksdiesel.com
That is NOT a blow off valve. It is a waste gate actuator. Two completely different things.

There is no need for a blow off valve on your diesel unless you are running huge amounts of boost. Usually just on twin turbo systems. When you back out of the throttle the air tries to go back out the turbo. You can hear this as a huf huf huf hufh sound usually just with open element intakes and when you are hard on it and back out instantly. On a stock turbo running the normal 20-30 psi of boost or maybe a little more it doesn't really hurt it much. However if you are running 60 or 80 psi of boost on a twin turbo set up where the small turbo has a small shaft you can snap the shaft in half. So you need a blow of valve. The one BD makes works great and I know a few guys that run them on their twin turbo cummins. However it's not like one you'd find on a civic wanna be. It has electronic controls that attach to the throttle pedal so that when you back out it activates it and blow off the boost. It has several adjustments on it for how fast you back out and stuff like that as well. Hardly anything you're going to want to mess with just to be a poser to make the sound as you can see they are like $600.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with N≤O

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode