AC question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JHobbs26, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 485 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

AC question

I've noticed that when driving on the highway (65-75mph) that the AC doesnt blow as cold as it does while driving around town. Would this be an indicator that the system is getting low on freon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
More likely just from the vent letting air blow through it faster not cooling it as much. Do you notice it on AC or MAX AC? MAX AC should close teh vent to the outside so it just recirculates so it should't effect it much weather driving at speed or slow.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM

Had the same problem a month or so ago. Bought one of those recharge kits from Interdynamics at PepBoys for under $50. Cold as can be now. Averages about 48 at center vent but have seen it as low as 38 during idle.
... and that is when it's in the 90's outside.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke
More likely just from the vent letting air blow through it faster not cooling it as much. Do you notice it on AC or MAX AC? MAX AC should close teh vent to the outside so it just recirculates so it should't effect it much weather driving at speed or slow.

I almost always run with it on MAX AC, I dont drive my truck very often and when I do its only a 7 mile trip hauling the racecar to the track with a max speed of 50mph. I went out of town a couple of weeks ago and noticed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful 6.0
Had the same problem a month or so ago. Bought one of those recharge kits from Interdynamics at PepBoys for under $50. Cold as can be now. Averages about 48 at center vent but have seen it as low as 38 during idle.
... and that is when it's in the 90's outside.
Was that just R-134 recharge? How much did you put in. I've got the adaptor and a bottle or two of freon, but without guages I didnt want to over charge the system.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Was that just R-134 recharge? How much did you put in. I've got the adaptor and a bottle or two of freon, but without guages I didnt want to over charge the system.
Yep, R-134. The kit came with 2 cans, a hose, and gauge. It took both cans. I don't know if I would try it without a gauge... could be a costly mistake if you overcharge and blow a seal or worse, the compressor. The cans were rather large but contained a lot of oil and also said there was some leakstop in cans. If you already have freon, you could probably find a cheap hose/gauge. Some of the kits I saw came with hose and gauge built into can. You throw away the whole thing when finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode