HELP -mods for 98 Super Duty ????? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by NORCAL-NOODLER, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 661 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
minor rumbler

HELP -mods for 98 Super Duty ?????

O.K. guys I have done the searches and looked around but I can't seem to find all my answers. So maybe you can help me out.

I own a 99 Super Duty built 7/98 , can't say where it came from but its got a cat on an automatic tranny so I'm expecting California. Most of my work has gone into the exterior of the truck (shell, rack, 05 headlights, etc). The only mod I have done to the engine is Autometer gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and 4" Magnaflow exhaust (cat back).

I have heard the first version SD suffered from a bad intake system and wonder if I should address this first. I am also wondering if I should kill the kitty and add the Magnaflow turbo back tailpiece and tie into the new stuff in the back. I have had a hard time finding info about the differences in the first couple of years of the super duties but along with everything there are usually improvements to be made. I just don't know where to start !!!

I am mainly looking for improved gas mileage and lower EGT's but like us all I do occasionally like to step on it. This is my work truck and gets driven

So that do you folks think I should start with ??????

AND THANKS !!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the gauges and 4" cat back. I would do your choice of cold air intake, I did the the large Wix filter on my 02 and the 97 has a K&N, I can't tell much difference in them except the $$$$. I have been around a lot of chips and programmers and my preference by far is the DP Tuner, it truly is a step above the others I have used. The early 99 trucks had smaller injectors than the later trucks, no intake air heater, and a unique/smaller(?) turbo. I am sure other guys will chime in, but that is where I would go from where you are now if it were me.

2002 F250 Extended cab XLT 4X4 long bed.
Intake, muffler delete, DP-Tuner

1997 F250 Regular cab 5 speed 4x4.
3in Downpipe, Stage 1 sticks, solid flywheel conversion, 6 position chip. Work truck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 PM

lose the cat and get the rest of the exhaust to hook up to your cat back. DIY intake is pretty cheap and effective but if you want to spend the money go with a AFE stage 1 or 2.
Chip, all the guys on here make good tunes, u just need to talk to them and see wich one u like. As for the turbo its good to go, the injectors are smaller and the HPOP is smaller so not going to be getting huge gains but it will really wake up and scoot down the road.

Hope this helps,
Scott
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Do you have vehicle inspections in your area? You might want to gut the cat and put it back on just in case somebody wants to take a look under the truck. I know all of the early 99's I have ever seen came with a factory cat and somebody getting nosy might know that. Just a thought.

2002 F250 Extended cab XLT 4X4 long bed.
Intake, muffler delete, DP-Tuner

1997 F250 Regular cab 5 speed 4x4.
3in Downpipe, Stage 1 sticks, solid flywheel conversion, 6 position chip. Work truck.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
minor rumbler
Threadstarter

So can I use the larger WIX filter in my airbox ???? (# please)
I also searched for the DIY intake and looked through a few pages and can't find a link. Does anyone have a link for me ???
Also if I were to shell up the dough which AFE intake should I go with ????
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Kip
In the passing lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORCAL-NOODLER
So can I use the larger WIX filter in my airbox ???? (# please)
I also searched for the DIY intake and looked through a few pages and can't find a link. Does anyone have a link for me ???
Also if I were to shell up the dough which AFE intake should I go with ????
you would have to go with a stage 2 they don't make a stage 1 for the early 99's

2005 2500HD DIRTYMAX 6in lift, dual exhaust, afe airbox. Tuner soon to come

2001 PSD shortbed crewcab, ATS tranny edge juice w/attitude, Superchips programmer, Gauges, exhaust, 4inch lift w/35s, (SOLD)

Originally Posted by sledneck57
Your sweating like a queer holding a hot dog.lol.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 07:46 AM

Its Wix #6637 (add a four at the front for Wix, I think). And no, you take your airbox out, add a piece of 4" stainless or exhaust pipe, clamp it to the hose where your box used to clamp to, and then clamp the filter on the end of that. It should sit pretty much where your airbox sat. Won't let dust in like your airbox will.

Probably 40ish as opposed to several hundred for the AFE. Heres the filter.
http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/R...p?PartNo=46637
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 07:50 AM

https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ghlight=intake

Its for the OBS trucks, but as far as I know its pretty much the same on the Super Duty's.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:28 PM

yes it is almost exactly the same for the early '99

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode