2000 F250 Manual Trans Clutch Fork - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JoeDirte, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 6982 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

2000 F250 Manual Trans Clutch Fork

Well, the long story starts out with my truck having problems shifting gears. So, I figure it's got to be the clutch master. I need my truck for work and decide, it's best to just pay for it to get fixed. I head over to EAST BAY FORD TRUCKS IN OAKLAND, CA. The service guys says it's definitely not the clutch master. I say it's so. The mechanic says it's so and changes that out. Test drove fine. I pick it up and when I step on the clutch, it stays on the floor. I tell the service guy and he says he knew it wasn't the master and says it's the pressure plate. I said I don't think so, I think it's the clutch fork. The mechanic (3 of them) figure the clutch fork is somehow misaligned. Now the service manager says it'll be $440 labor plus a new clutch fork. And I should be changing out the clutch. I tell him they misaligned the clutch fork when they stuffed the clutch master in. They won't eat the cost. So, I told him I'd rather fix it myself.

Sorry for the rant, but I was nervous bringing in my truck to the dealer and now I know why. The last time I was robbed, the guy had a gun.

Anyway, has anyone had a problem with their clutch fork? I figure I'm going to need to pull the tranny because there's no way to get to the fork from the clutch master hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yes, the 1999 and 2000 year trucks have a weak clutch fork, buddy of mine just went through all of that. $40 part ends up costing much, much more in time and money.

2002 F250 Extended cab XLT 4X4 long bed.
Intake, muffler delete, DP-Tuner

1997 F250 Regular cab 5 speed 4x4.
3in Downpipe, Stage 1 sticks, solid flywheel conversion, 6 position chip. Work truck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 PM

If you need a fork let me know. I have one.

Dan
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 PM

I've snapped one on my 2000 also...definately a weak point in the system. While you're in there you might as well order a kevlar bushing (I'm sure So Grand carries those also) the needle bearing on the input shaft is another weak link. I went through four before I found out about the kevlar bushing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I stand corrected. I yanked that tranny and the fork is broken. I'm trying to locate a fork at a local dealership today (Saturday). The clutch disc looks like it has plenty of meat left (from what I can see without dropping the pressure plate).

How hard is it to pull that pilot with the clutch in place?

Dan, where are you located and how much for the fork, throw out bearing and kevlar pilot?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
iirc you cant pull that bearing with the clutch or flywheel inplace.. well wait is that a dual mass flywheel? i just did one at work last week and the pilot being had to be driven outa the flywheel dont remember witch direction tho. you could try a slide hammer i reckon.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah, I took a look at the pilot bearing. Didn't feel sloppy. It looks like a conventional diaphragm pressure plate and disc. That would need to come off to get to the pilot. Just much easier. I needed to get my truck on the road and had to hunt all the dealerships to get one. The new clutch fork is redesigned. Hopefully, it'll last. I replaced the t/o bearing. I can't believe part of the t/o bearing is made of plastic. Also, the clutch fork pivot/stud is made of plastic. I'd be pretty upset if that came apart and I needed to drop that monster tranny to replace it.

Any suggestions for a replacement clutch when the time comes? I've used CenterForce on my gas engines. This is my first diesel and I don't know if I'd be better off with OEM.

Thanks for all the help!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 PM

JoeDirte you have a Pm.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode