Pulled 1st injector ...does this look OK? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Cerebus, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 1087 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Pulled 1st injector ...does this look OK?

I'm pulling my stock injectors this weekend and shipping them to DZLJIM for a rebuild/conversion to hybrids. I have the driver's side tore apart and pulled the #8 injector. You can see in the pics below there is some "goop" on the it that looks like burnt oil. Is this normal? Also, should there be that much of a gap around the o-ring in the first pic?

Also, while I have all this crap tore apart waiting for the injectors to come back, is there anything else I should/could do to increase performace/reliability? ...glow plugs, UVC harnesses, etc.?

2000 F250 PSD, XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, auto: Autometer Nexus gauges, DIY-Injectors.com Stage III Hybrid injectors, BTS Transmission, H2E Turbo, DP Tuner F5 (stk, HI, 60t, 80e, 120r), 4" MBRP, AFE Stage 2 PG7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
the gap on orings looks normal from the couple that i have done. th uvc harnesses are known to go bad but are kinda pricey to just throw parts in there.. the glowplugs? well there kinda pricey for all 8 iirc too.. but if you have the money and dont want any worries? why not.. as for the goop.. ive pulled a set that kinda looked like that i would prolly say that you had some orings leaking.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:16 PM

injectors look completely normal to me. All nozzles build some carbon around the base of the nozzle, and the oring looks perfectly fine too.

For the replacent wiring and stuff, check out: http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...&subcat1=73200

-Brad Desatnik
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys. I got 2, 4, and 6 pulled and they pretty much look the same. #2 has more build up than the others, but I guess nothing out of the ordinary.

ETA: On the passenger side VC, how do you get at the two bottom bolts toward the back? There's only about 1/2" - 1" of room. :-\

2000 F250 PSD, XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, auto: Autometer Nexus gauges, DIY-Injectors.com Stage III Hybrid injectors, BTS Transmission, H2E Turbo, DP Tuner F5 (stk, HI, 60t, 80e, 120r), 4" MBRP, AFE Stage 2 PG7
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 PM

hahaha those are tricky!!! just get a shallow socket and a wobbly and giver her hell.. the silver shielding is kind of squishy and u can get a little more room.. once u break it loose just try to reach in there with your fingers.. im pretty good with that side of the motor so...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:23 PM

1/4" ratchet, short extension, and swivel/universal joint. Works good.

In fact I think I did it without the swivel last time. Just 1/4 drive and short extension.

I don't know why everyone cries about the VC's being hard to get off, I can have them off 10mins a side.

Had a ford tech tell me he took off the heater box to get to the rear bolts on pass side :shrug:
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:56 PM

No big deal.
You'll get them back lookin shiny like new...

Sometimes it helps to pull the small rectangular box off the side of the HVAC box. No idea what it's called, but jsut a couple screws and it's off and out of the way.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I found it much easier to reach up thru the wheel well to get the bottom two bolts on the VC. Then it was a PITA to get the VC itself out thru the spaghetti mess of tube/wires on the passenger side. As soon as I can figure out a way to pry out the #7 injector, I will be about finished.

And the fact it's 96* in the shade makes this all the more pleasant.

Jim, not sure if it was necessary, but I've been numbering these as I pull them.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 AM

why are you having an issue with pulling the # 7? if you HAVE to pull the top bolt out of the head and get it out of the way and then just pry away it should pop right out.. have you been getting all of the copper orings?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose99ps
why are you having an issue with pulling the # 7? if you HAVE to pull the top bolt out of the head and get it out of the way and then just pry away it should pop right out.. have you been getting all of the copper orings?
It was just that my first attempt to get it was frustrating, mostly because of the lack of room on that side. My second attempt was much better. I pried from the top of the retainer instead of the bottom and all 4 on that side popped right out.

All 8 came out with the copper washers ...at least I'm assuming that's what's on the tips (see second pic above).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode