Transmission - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by POWER STROKE 99, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 795 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71

Transmission

My Dad just bought a 1997 PSD, he and I were wondering should he drive with OD off in town and up hills, it has a SCT tuner does this adjust shift points, and how do you know when the TC locks up. BTW we are going to change the fluid and filter in the trans, should we take it to a shop and have them purge it all including the TC or do it our self ( I would rather do it myself) and which fluid is good.

1999 F-350 7.3L CREW CAB DUALLY, LIVE TUNING BY DP TUNER, 180cc SINGLES, REGULATED RETURN FUEL SYSTEM, PRE-PUMP AND IN TANK FUEL SYSTEM AND OVER BOOST ANNIHILATOR BY ITP DIESEL, DR MINI PACKS TO LEVEL THE RIDE, 6" AUSSIE STACKS BY GRANDROCK, AFE STAGE II INTAKE, TURBO MODS BY HTT, 05 HEAD LIGHT CONVERSION WITH UPGRADE WIRING HARNESS BY DFUSER, 05 GRILL, 05 6 SPEED UPGRADE, SHORT THROW SHIFTER AND LUK CLUTCH BY MIDWEST TRANSMISSION , CCV MOD, LINE-X , QUAD POD FILLED WITH AUTO METER C2 GUAGES, CUSTOM SLED PULLING HITCH, COOLANT FILTER SETUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 AM

I like driving with O/D off around town because it keeps the TC locked longer on decel (also depends on PCM code/tuning). The only reason to manually select a gear is to keep the transmission from hunting.

The TC should have a drain plug in it so you can take the inspection cover off it, roll the flexplate around so the drain plug is facing down and drain the converter. Then drain the pan and refill.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:23 PM

The stock converter may or may not have a drain plug. I personally would drop and pan and drain the converter if possible. I highly recommend against have the trans flushed. It mixes up and redeposits stuff where it shouldn't be. My stocker was flushed and died within the month.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Garage
I turn o/d off around town too. At 40-43mph it will go in and out of o/d unless your accelrating. Its get annoying really fast.

92 Firebird Formula 350-Custom turbo setup, 570rwhp, [email protected](daily driver when its nice out)
97 F-250, 4wd, CC, SB, aFe 4in Turbo Back, diy Tymar intake, Edge Evo, CCV Mod, FPR Mod, 1.0 housing, 7.3 SD Cooler
93 Jeep Wrangler 4.0-Up 7in on 36in SS TSL's
09 Polaris Dragon 800SP
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWER STROKE 99
My Dad just bought a 1997 PSD, he and I were wondering should he drive with OD off in town and up hills, it has a SCT tuner does this adjust shift points, and how do you know when the TC locks up. BTW we are going to change the fluid and filter in the trans, should we take it to a shop and have them purge it all including the TC or do it our self ( I would rather do it myself) and which fluid is good.
I wouldn't turn OD off, except on certain big hills. You will get poorer fuel mileage with it off. Your applying extra braking to slow down when you cancel OD. That is the slow down decel you feel when canceling OD down hill in addition to gear 3 ratio. Braking is one reason you would manually select a gear. OD off will prevent hunting between 3-4, I agree. Gear 3 will be the highest gear. The 97 has a differant converter lock than a 99 up.

One way to know when TC locks on a 97 is watch the tach right after the 3 shift point. RPM will change, but our tachs aren't real sensitive. Maintaining a steady throttle should produce a tach needle flutter. Accelerating may cover it up as rpm's are increasing anyway. A full shift kit in a 97 can be set to make the lock up felt on apply.

An Original 97 TC will have a plug. You can change ATF. A Flush will push thru the cooler. You can use compressed air to, or use the cooler line off method to change ATF (for no TC plug).

If it has the small 2 row "U" OEM cooler, it's very undersize. I would consider replacing it if the Tranny is otherwise in good shape and adding a cooler line filter.

Mercon equivilent fluid, dual rated Mercon and Mercon V, Dex-3, and any synthetic mercon/Dex3 rated fluid. I wouldn't recommend straight Mercon V if you do find it.
-
-
-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
Threadstarter

Where would the best place in the pan be to put the temperature sensor and should I add a drain plug.

1999 F-350 7.3L CREW CAB DUALLY, LIVE TUNING BY DP TUNER, 180cc SINGLES, REGULATED RETURN FUEL SYSTEM, PRE-PUMP AND IN TANK FUEL SYSTEM AND OVER BOOST ANNIHILATOR BY ITP DIESEL, DR MINI PACKS TO LEVEL THE RIDE, 6" AUSSIE STACKS BY GRANDROCK, AFE STAGE II INTAKE, TURBO MODS BY HTT, 05 HEAD LIGHT CONVERSION WITH UPGRADE WIRING HARNESS BY DFUSER, 05 GRILL, 05 6 SPEED UPGRADE, SHORT THROW SHIFTER AND LUK CLUTCH BY MIDWEST TRANSMISSION , CCV MOD, LINE-X , QUAD POD FILLED WITH AUTO METER C2 GUAGES, CUSTOM SLED PULLING HITCH, COOLANT FILTER SETUP
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Where would the best place in the pan be to put the temperature sensor and should I add a drain plug.
A pan drain plug yes. I like the rear face for a sender if room allows it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
Threadstarter

How many quarts will it hold?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindViper
The stock converter may or may not have a drain plug. I personally would drop and pan and drain the converter if possible. I highly recommend against have the trans flushed. It mixes up and redeposits stuff where it shouldn't be. My stocker was flushed and died within the month.
It does have a drain plug.

And there is NOTHING wrong with a flush.

It's just what most people call a "flush" is actually a powered chemical flush, and that is very bad.

A DIY flush method using only the output of the stock pump to pump out all the fluid is harmless, and a good thing to do.

You're simply using the pump to remove all of the old fluid, and refilling at specific intervals so as to never starve the pump.

If that hurts a trans, it was gonna go anyway.

If you pump chemicals into a trans with over 100,000 miles and it causes issues, hard to blame it on the trans.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
How many quarts will it hold?

Around 18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode