clutch slipping....? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by paulkeith, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 828 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

clutch slipping....?

OK,

Since installing my DP Tuner, I noticed some good slippage on the 120 and 140 settings, but she could get the 80 setting to the ground no problem. All of a sudden starting saturday, she was slipping really bad even on the 80 setting, basically overnight change....I'm talking slipping at 40mph in 3rd gear.

I just figured the clutch was toast and started to look at SBC prices, but then I started thinking about it, and I did a fuel filter friday evening which involved me spilling a lot of diesel into the intake valley. I think the diesel drained onto the clutch and now she's slipping worse than usual because of that.

Can I fix this? It was holding fine on the 80 setting before which was fine with me until it wore out. I'm not totally opposed to getting a new clutch, but would like to put it off for as long as possible....

thanks,
Paul

2002 Arizona Beige F250 Ext Cab Short Bed. 7.3L 6spd 4x4 140k
2" leveling kit, 285/75 Mastercraft AT2's,Napa BFF, DiPricol Pryo/Boost, DP F5 NS/stock/hi/40/80/120/140agg-lope, Toolbox, Audio goodies, IH shiftknob
muffler delete, CCV reroute, AIH/Foil delete,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 PM

I dont think there is any way that fuel out of the vally could have gotten on your clutch unless your trans is loose and there is a gap at the top. the only holes in the bell housing are at the bottom and for the clutch fork on the side but I dont think it could have gotten on it from either of them. You may just have more power with the new filter to make the clutch slip worse.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

that's a damn expensive answer.....

haha, thanks man
Paul

2" leveling kit, 285/75 Mastercraft AT2's,Napa BFF, DiPricol Pryo/Boost, DP F5 NS/stock/hi/40/80/120/140agg-lope, Toolbox, Audio goodies, IH shiftknob
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:20 AM

paul, i am in the same boat, but i know that i will burn my clutch up, so i am going to dump the money in that, before i get the DP tunes... just to be safe. what clutch you looking at?

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

southbend's con ofe with a SMFW probably...? The stocker replacement is rated to 300hp, and the manual tranny '02 7.3 is rated at 275hp plus whatever my chip actually creates (call it 80 maximum), that puts me just under the OFE's 400hp rating. No brainer?

Luk makes the cerrametallic upgrade clutch, but southbend just seems to carry a little more clout with the diesel guys.

I'm a little wary of changing to a SMFW...what are the truths as far as shock to the gears and accelerated transmission wear that I read about?

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode