Hutch mod FAILED!! air still there.... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by two-rocks, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 847 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Hutch mod FAILED!! air still there....

OK - so I hutched and harpooned the tank today...I think I followed guzzles web site for the most part. I also ground the opening of the filler tube to accept the large truck stop nozzles. Inside the tank I retained the black stock rubber-type pickup, but removed the mixing POS, then ran a return far away. I reamed the hole in the stock black pickup and put the tube below the area that is setup to allow fuel in if the screen is clogged.

Exiting the tank, for the fuel feed I ran 3/8 line with double hose clamps at all junctions (clamps mounted at 180 degrees to each other). I also added an in line fuel filter (for a Mercedes diesel, rated for vacuum) before the fuel pump. (until I get a DAHL or similar). I am glad I put this semi-clear filter in...read on....

I ran the truck and checked everything and still saw air bubbles. OK.....so I thought I would check all the fittings - they are fine. OK...... next I thought maybe inside the tank I didn't tighten the compression fittings enough and they are letting air in - no time to fix that today - so I go fill the tank (29 gal tank had 4-5 gal in it and I put 30 in at the fast fill truck pump - LOVE the fast pump and ability to fill the tank now)

I still have air bubbles being fed to the fuel filter!!! I re-checked all the clamps (again), and can't find any diesel leaks after it sits for a while.

My only thought at this point is that the SS tube is leaking where they are 'spot' welded onto the tank cap. It's the only spot left for air to get in. So I just sealed that with a tri-polymer sealant (caulk - good stuff). Not cured yet - and dark now so I gave up checking this step. I have to go a couple hundred miles tomorrow with a light trailer - looks like I'll be 'bubbling' it.

It runs the same as before, so I'm not sure this (air) is a new problem (I was thinking that this was possibly caused by the work on the fuel pickup - I was careful). If the caulk on the exterior does not fix it, I will run a continuous line from the tank to the pump - and not use any of the factory SS tubing (all in great condition).

Long post - sure

Frustrated - absolutely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 05:34 PM
rock removal technition

by design you will see air bubbles in front of the filter.

1996 psd 5speed 4x4 cc 8' bed, 3" body lift, 35's swamped, dp-tuner, intercooled, custom fuel system, no fan, and a few other goodies, 263k. 349.2hp sold
2003 7.3 4r100 4wd sc 8', xlt 20th anniversary edition
stock cept for duals. 260k sarted out as a 2wd xl work tk
Early 99 CC dually 4x4 4r100 dark lights, dark windows, stainless simulators
99 v-10 4x4 sc sb auto 275hp gas guzzler
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Where does it come from, and where does it go? It would seem to make this a moot mod :shrug:
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks
Where does it come from, and where does it go?
Where does it come from a cotton eyed joe....

:shrug:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode