nu2diesels here with many many questions but just one for now. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by nu2diesels, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 489 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

nu2diesels here with many many questions but just one for now.

hello everybody. my screen name says it all. i'm the very proud owner of a new to me '97 F-350 2wd 5-speed with the 7.3 turbo diesel. i got the truck at such a good deal that i could not pass it up. i would of preffered a 4wd F-350 instead but oh well. now this is where my first of many many questions come in. how hard would it be to convert my 2wd to 4wd and how involved is it? is it worth the time and money? i imagine that this has been done before so can somebody please point me in the right direction? thanks for your help now and in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 AM

It's a huge benefit to get a 4wd truck to use as a donor. The tail section of the tranny needs coverted to bolt to a transfer case. You need the rear drive shaft shortened (or use the donor). I believe the 2wd versions were coil sprung in the front, this will need converted to leafs or a custom coil job for the front axle. I'm not sure if the 2wd frame has the mounting locations for the spings and track bar or not. The easiest way to do this is to get a lift kit for a 97 F350 4X4, and then do the shackel reversal at the same time and that will get you a lot of your mounts, the springs and shocks etc. Don't get anything for a 250 since they were IFS in those years. The steering box may be different, but i'm not positive but worth a check to be sure. You will need a front axle, since you're looking to swap ya might as well get the Dana 60, i think they came factory on the 350's in that era but you'll have to make sure. I don't think there were differences in the cab like chevy did on some of their trucks.

This should give you some things to consider before someone else chimes in.

-Brad Desatnik

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode