Best bang for my buck?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 99fordtruckguy, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 632 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Best bang for my buck??

I am looking to spend about $500 on my early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 for performance mods. Performance wise, my truck is stock except for a K+N filter(in stock air box) and semi-straight through exhaust (no muffler, but with stock cat) Where would my money be best spent for a noticable overall performance gain? It just seems a little sluggish. The truck has 157k on it, is a daily driver and must remain reliable, as my job depends on it. Thanks for any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Start with Tymar intake, Lose the muffler and maybe get a 4" exhaust system. Then work your way up from there.

Gauges
Chip
Injectors
Turbo
Big Oil

But remember that the tranny needs to be beefed up as well or the clutch if its a manual

04 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box ZF6 Manual.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Slow 6.0

your best dollar per horsepower/torque is going to come from a chip. since you have an early 99 id suggest upgrading to a NVK or PMT coded computer. DP-Tuner can sell you one with the tune of your choice, the 80 Econo works really well with an early 99, anything larger then that is going to really tax the HPOP. for 500 you could get the better computer and a 2 program chip from them. www.dp-tuner.com

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Slow 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle5
Start with Tymar intake, Lose the muffler and maybe get a 4" exhaust system. Then work your way up from there.

Gauges
Chip
Injectors
Turbo
Big Oil

But remember that the tranny needs to be beefed up as well or the clutch if its a manual
im not sure if you really read his original post, he already has the muffler taken out and stated 500 dollars for future upgrades so a turbo, oil, & injectors are out of the question

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 PM

1. Lose the stock airbox/K&N and get an AIS from Ford for engine longevity.

2. Get gauges!!!

3. Lose the cat

4. Call Jody at DP Tuner for a flip chip, keep it under 80hp for transmission longevity.

5. Install Sonnex/Tricummulator kit in VB and 6.0L tranny cooler, replace steel lines with 1/2" hose (front to rear) and remove the transmission fluid bypass assembly.

It'll cost a little more than $500 but I wouldn't leave anything off the list.

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode