Newbie...01 F350 auto wont go in drive!!! help!!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jsneiman, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 13035 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Newbie...01 F350 auto wont go in drive!!! help!!!

Ok guys, I am new here and in need of some help! I just bought an 01 F350 powerstroke 4x4 crew cab dually lariat. I love the truck but am having issues with the transmission. It has 130kmi. It does have intake and exhaust and will make some smoke under hard acceleration so it may be chipped or reprogrammed but I am not sure. Anyways, when I shift it into drive when it is cold, there is a slight delay but nothing too noticeable. But when the transmission is warmed up say after 1/2 hour of driving or idling for a while after being warm, the truck wont move when I shift it into drive. It just revs and then after a while might grab, or might not. Reverse works perfectly. Now after shutting it down and letting it cool for a while, it recovers and begins to operate correctly again. The most recent time I had to let it sit for an hour, and then shift it into 1st a few times before it started to grab a little. Then with a little revving it engaged and was fine again. I went forward and back in my driveway a few times. Once it is engaged, the transmission shifts perfectly through all gears and TC lockup. Even when I am stopped at a light, there is no slippage. Only if I take it out of drive do I have problems. To make matters worse, I have a trailer (4000lbs) hooked up and am going 300 miles tomorrow and anther 250 on Saturday. I am thinking that during any short breaks I might take I should leave it running and in drive with the emergency brake on so that I will be able to drive again without letting it cool for an hour or so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, the light on the end of the shift lever is broken off so I can not tell if it would be flashing or not. The overdrive switch is there still. Thanks so much for any help you might be able to provide. Joe (518) 669-4426 - cell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Also, I stopped in a transmission rebuilding shop and asked them, and had them take a quick look. The guy said it was most likely the 1st gear clutches are slipping and that it is about a $1,000 two day job. That doesn't make complete sense to me because I would think if the clutches were bad, it would slip during acceleration and off the line, which it is not doing. To me it seems like fluid pressure is low especially when the fluid gets hot and thinner. Possibly a clog or sticky solenoid in the valve body, but I am no expert. The previous owner also told me it had a shift kit, but it does not slam gears...it seems to shift just like it should. I did check the fluid level and so did the tech and we agree it was fine even though the dipstick is terrible to try and read. I did add a quart before I went there today but that did not seem to make any difference. Thanks again in advance. Joe (518) 669-4426 - cell
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:54 AM

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The '01 model trucks have an infamous 'mechanical diode' in the transmission that can cause some weird, weird stuff when they go, and the only way to fix it is basically a complete rebuild or replacement of the transmission.

2002 F-350 Lariat crew cab 4x4 PSD auto, DRW with 163,000 miles, Ford AIS, otherwise all stock.

1994 F-250 PSD, 5 speed, open intake, 5" single stack, gauges, DynaMat, 302,000 miles.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well that is not very good news...maybe racerX can shed some light Seems like he knows the auto trannys inside and out from searching old threads. Help please!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:37 AM

Maybe your filter is loose, or lever switch is bad. Fluid been changed yet? If you need to find a shop to make it home, ask if they have a tester for Ford 4R100 solenoids and can read the pcm codes. And a pressure gauge. Otherwise they are guessing by selling a rebuild first.
The diode if it still has it, won't cause trouble on engagement but at the shift to 2
-
-
-
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I made it the 300 miles no problem so far. I will see about a flush and fluid change...what is the lever switch? Thanks again, Joe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 AM

Lever is also cable adjustable, that can be checked as well. Behind the lever on the case is a range switch, also called MLPS. If bad it will not tell the pcm your in gear. The 4X4 switch also can hang and cause a delayed engagement.
-
-
-
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 AM

check all of your fuses, on my 96 we had a fuse go out that was the thing that would put it into drive, it wouldnt go in. we changed out the fuse and all was good.

1996 F-350 LB CC 4 in. lift 35 in. BFG AT's Go Rhino Grill Gaurd, Stancor GPR.

"Id rather be stroked than rammed!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode