7.3L Power Stroke Performance & Dress-Up - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Mylesofsmyles, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 3839 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

7.3L Power Stroke Performance & Dress-Up

I am looking into purchasing a 9th-Gen. F250 Super-Crew, Short-Bed. The goal is to build a custom, show worthy, truck that runs on Bio-Diesel. I have always been a fan of displacement, thus the 7.3L Power Stroke seems to be the best.

My questions to you are relative to aftermarket engine tuning and dress-up. With regards to performance, I have seen the Banks tuning package, which should offer 125+ horsepower to the stock 210. Is there much else that I can do, maybe to get me to the 400-500 horsepower mark? Also, I have been left under the impression that Ford & Chevy Diesel V8 engines are derived off their popular gasoline blocks. If this is the case, will standard and aftermarket Ford valve covers, etc. fit the 7.3L Power Stroke? I would love to see a set of black, finned valve covers, much like the "Cobra" valve covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I also forgot to ask about gas mileage...will there be a major difference in gas mileage of a tuned 7.3L Power Stroke vs. a 6.0L?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Dieselis' Maximus

UHHH, First stop looking at banks, 2 the Diesel engines are nothing like the Gas engines the diesel engines are infact not even Ford or Dodge or Chevy Engines. I guess chevy is close to owning their engine since it is from Isuzu.

the 7.3 is an International engine.

as far as milage for a 7.3 to a 6.0 They are pretty much the same. either tuned vs tuned or stock vs stock.

"Why in hell can't the Army do it if
the Marines can. They are the same
kind of men; why can't they be like
Marines."
Gen. John J "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 04:59 AM

:iagree
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Hotsauce2138

Send a message via AIM to HotSauce2138 Send a message via MSN to HotSauce2138
get a dp and run from banks.
ask anyone on here

SAM
Late 99 F-250 CC SWB Lariat 6 sp. 4x4 - the mods= Garrett GTP38R Turbo, DDP Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors. Shimmed Regulator, CCV Reroute and HX Hose from Dfuser, 4" turbo back straight pipe to GR 5" stack kit w/ 7"mitre cut stacks DPPPOWER.COM, AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ PG7, DP Tuner F5 Chip, 18K Mod Dfuser, SouthBend Clutch, Pro Pods quad a-pillar pod, Autometer Ultra-Lite Series Guages ( EGT, Boost 0-35, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure and Engine oil temp.), Pro tech cab guard, WELD Sidewinders. Road Armor's!!! Custom Pro Tech toolbox/stack cover, , Sirius Sat. Radio, BD Exhaust Brake, 06 Towing Mirrors w/ LED blinkers and heated
:93C_peelo
My Gallery: http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...y.asp?id=18074
Singles Club Member #52
Can You Keep Up??
Because I'm trying to. lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What's wrong with Banks? Do I have any options instead of Banks?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:27 AM

You have alot of options for tuning. DP Tuner or Elite Diesel or Tony Wildman if I could ever manage to remember the name of that place. Talk to them, they'll hook you up with what your lookin for.

All are leaps and bounds above the generic tuners/chips. Nothing really WRONG with Banks, just that its mostly WAY overpriced, and WAY underachieving compared to what you could get for the same/less money.

You'll need more than tuning to hit 500 in a 7.3, injectors, probs a turbo, HPOP, some other crud that costs a bunch.

You could always just Powdercoat your stock valve covers, IC tubes, etc. I've never seen aftermarket covers, but I've never really looked to be honest.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

The engine dress-up isn't that big of a hurdle; I could, just like you said, paint or coat the engine parts I seek to be dressed.

With regards to engine performance, I found GTS Motorsports who appears to offer a great wealth of upgrade components for the 7.3L motor. I don't know if all that + the DP Tuner chip will do it however, it seems like a great deal of stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode