Is it really all that Bad - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 2tonePSD, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 613 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Is it really all that Bad

I bought a Ts chip and i've heard bad things and good things since i bought it. But i was wondering is it really all that bad for the tranny, i mean i know all chips aren't the best for a stock tranny but everyone that talks bad about them talk about how it is really bad for the tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Kip
In the passing lane

Depends on how you drive I think. my brother in law has that chip and hasn't had any problems but I don't think he drive his hard like I do either. I have followed him a few times and never even seen alittle smoke so I think hee babies it to much.

2005 2500HD DIRTYMAX 6in lift, dual exhaust, afe airbox. Tuner soon to come

2001 PSD shortbed crewcab, ATS tranny edge juice w/attitude, Superchips programmer, Gauges, exhaust, 4inch lift w/35s, (SOLD)

Originally Posted by sledneck57
Your sweating like a queer holding a hot dog.lol.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM
4cstr

Its not the chip as much as it is the programming the supplier puts on it. Generally speaking...off the shelf programming(standard tunes for darned near any truck) can be more harmful that tunes written specifically for the truck. But...any increase in HP/Torque through programming...no matter who writes the tunes...can shorten the life of a stock transmission.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

O I know that anything that i do to add power is going to shorten the life of my tranny, but i was just wondering because of all the things I have heard about Ts. My chip i had to give them some numbers off my computer so i would image that it wouldn't be as bas as if it was just one that fit all chips.

RIP.......
96 F-350 Regular cab: 5" to 6" exhaust. autometer Z series a pillar pod for gauges. Window tint.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 PM

An OBS with stock injectors shouldn't be too bad on the tranny unless you abuse the crap out of it. There is only 90cc's of fuel to use. That is the big limiting factor on the power of the OBS trucks. Most of the 99 and up trucks have 140cc injectors and your typical stage 1 injectors (like mine) are 160cc's. Thats almost double the fuel with a stage 1 and with a diesel more fuel means more power...to a certain extent.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok well how much is a set of stage ones, and how long would it take to put them in?

RIP.......
96 F-350 Regular cab: 5" to 6" exhaust. autometer Z series a pillar pod for gauges. Window tint.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 04:51 AM

To make your injectors into stage 1's it is around 600 to 800 depending on where you have it done. You could also have some added cost due to worn or broken parts that are found during the process. A set of new AC code injectors, commonly known as stage 1's, is about 1800 plus your cores. Check out this site for some good deals on injectors http://www.dpppower.com/73-injectors.html

You can change injectors yourself as long as you have some mechanical skills and basic metric tools.

I was not trying to say that there would be little increase with just a chip on your truck. A chip will provide a pretty solid power increase to your truck. I was just explaining why you may have less of a chance of tranny problems than some of the others that you have heard from.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

o i know that but i have been thinking of getting some new injetors, so i was just wondering about them. thanks for your help

RIP.......
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzo12
O I know that anything that i do to add power is going to shorten the life of my tranny
Pressure and power. Some chips are for many applications instead of custom tuned. Added Pressure is part of the increased tranny wear along with stress from more horsepower.

The 90cc's you can push to the floor under heavy load in third and OD all day long and never hurt the tranny or the PSD. Holding 2800 rpm in 2nd is harder on a stock tranny. I sat behind a PSD all day with another riding on my back. The sounds of loaded I-79 Appalachia : wot revs, the shifts and whoosh. Without the load and from zero, wot is a differant story

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode