Testing GPR's - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by biz, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 478 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
biz

Testing GPR's

A few things:

How long should the GPR send power to the other large post?

Should both smaller posts have power while WTS light is on?

My GPR was sending power to the other large post while the WTS light was on and off..... and the engine running.

Also i tested the taller relay towards the front of the truck. It never got voltage to the other large terminal. should that be replaced also?

2000 F-350 Super cab, Tadds tunes, AFE Pro Guard intake, 4" MBRP cool Duals, Nexus Gauges , Tubonetics Ball Bearing Turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 PM

the gpr will stay powered for a few seconds before and after the truck is running. the other relay is for your intake heater and I dont think it will come on untile after the truck is running, but I havent fooled with them to much to know for sure because the older trucks like mine dont have an intake heater

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
A few things:

How long should the GPR send power to the other large post?
0-15 seconds most of the time, varies by temperature.

Quote:
Should both smaller posts have power while WTS light is on?
No. With the WTS light on, one SMALL post should be grounded, the other powered.

Quote:
My GPR was sending power to the other large post while the WTS light was on and off..... and the engine running.
That is completely normal, the PCM was using "after start glow plugs" to control the white smoke after a cold start. The WTS light IS NOT connected electrically to the GPs or the relay.

Quote:
Also i tested the taller relay towards the front of the truck. It never got voltage to the other large terminal. should that be replaced also?
I think that's the intake heater relay, it may not have been cold enough for the PCM to activate it. You need to check the SMALL terminals. If one is powered and the other grounded BUT you only have power on one of the LARGE terminals, then yes it is bad.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
biz
Threadstarter

yea after i started the engine the GPR stayed on for 10 seconds, shut off, and then both small terminals were powered.

I guess its working correctly.

And on the heater relay the 2 smaller terminals were hot, and no power to the other large terminal... so i guess thats working properly also.

2000 F-350 Super cab, Tadds tunes, AFE Pro Guard intake, 4" MBRP cool Duals, Nexus Gauges , Tubonetics Ball Bearing Turbo.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

You would be correct.

Nice job of troubleshooting. You should stop by the dealer and show them lol

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:50 PM

The WTS light will come on every time the key is cycled even though most times the GP's are not energized, or not for long.

I never wait for the light unless it's less than 50 or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode