Surgeing problem - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by dbunyip, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 588 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Surgeing problem

on my 99 it seems to be developing a surging problem when driving in what i would call a normal fashion. Right around 1200 rpm until about 2200 rpm. would this be what i've read about the turbo on these trucks? if so, is it something that should show up on the boost gauge? Also It does not do it if i'm in the throttle hard. it just seems to me that a turbo problem would be worse with a heavier load on it. any thoughts would be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 AM

Check the TPS and CPS, those can kind a cause a surge. Turbo surge will be both heard and seen on the boost gauge.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

it just got a cps about 3 months ago so i hope thats not it. (I got raped at the stealership on that one) It doesn't sound any different. It really just feels like I'm letting off the throttle which was my first thought cause we have crappy roads around my home. That make it sound like the TPS? If so, is there a way to test it?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 AM

Feels like your letting off the throttle? That really wouldn't be what I'd call a surge. You can ohm out the TPS and see if there are any worn spots in it. Have you checked your ICP and IRP duty cycle? Those might be an indication of what's going on. Also, if you have the scanner hooked up, when the truck surges check out what desired fuel and TPS values show.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Bad wiring to or from the IPR valve can cause this, the incorrect oil type will cause this, as will extended oil drain intervals with even the right oil type.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I guess I worded that wrong, it doesn't just back off, its like I was on a rough road and can't keep the throttle steady but thats not what is happening. I'll get ahold of my bros scaner and see if I can find anything. its had delo 400 in it ever since i've had it and its done at 5k.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Could the EBP valve be cycling?

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode