99 psd Rough Idle! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cummins0797, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1565 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to cummins0797
99 psd Rough Idle!

I moved this from another thread to get some quik input.

I just went and drove the ford im wanting..it is a early 99 144k miles, the boy that ownes it is in Iraq and his wife is selln it. Everybody seems to thank it has a chip or somthing in it, because it runs pretty strong! The only thing scaring me is that the truck has been sitting for 4 months because it was getting a clutch put in it, and probably hasnt been driven a 100 miles since. when its running it idles kinda hard but it smooths out in higher rpms..didnt know if it was an injector thing or somthing to do with the dm flywheel, because ive seen them do that before, but the gear shifter does not shake...or hopefully it could be where it has set for so long...yal tell me what ya thank! Or if its somthing to worry about.

2005 Silverado 2500-CC SB, 2wd, Auto, 4" Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Things that can cause rough idle.

Air in fuel.
If it has a chip then it could be from that if it wasn't tuned properly. This could be from high pressures at idle from the hpop.

There are different types of rough idle, that depends on what the person hears. What does the tach do?

Kyle
Early 99 F-250SD 7.3 PSD 4x4. Auto, tymar type intake, straight pipe, Six inch stacks, Tony Wildman Four position chip, Street race, 80 Tow, 80 Econo, Extreme. Let the smoke roll. Upgraded torque converter. Autometer Ultralights on the Pillar. Running Cooper Discover STT's.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Rough Idle , warm or cold?...

Rick....

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
www.fordtransmissioncure.com
Special thanks to RacerX USA
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM
4cstr

If it has sat for that long...what kind of condition is the fuel in? You may have critters in the fuel stream.

Add some fresh fuel..dump some biocide in...run it for a bit...then change out the fuel filter. It may take a couple of fuel filter changes to get all the critters out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

im hopeing its like 4cstr said just old fuel thats set..i didnt pay attention to the tach. The guy said after the truck gets warmed up it get better...so i dont know. Could this truck have a non changeble tune chip that just plugs in? Because this truck runs like my friends 00 with his on 50hp..it still has the muffler and blows a little black smoke when getting on it kinda.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i dont thank it would have air in the fuel because they usualy white smoke if they do, and this one dont. But when it idles the whole truck shakes not real hard but along with the engine. And when driving it it starts smoothin out about 2k rpm

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM

If it is being caused by a chip it SHOULD stop shaking the second you touch the throttle and the engine gains a few RPM.

If it will blow a little black smoke when not even flooring it then yes it probably has a chip that is just a plug in with one setting, especially if it seems to run as good as your buddies does.

Check the PCM to see if it has a chip and if it does, PULL THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION then pull the chip out.
Failure to pull the key out can cause major PCM damage!

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode