Commonrail Powerstroke... 2nd attempt... ON-TOPIC!!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokerDude, this thread has received 32 replies and been viewed 1953 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Commonrail Powerstroke... 2nd attempt... ON-TOPIC!!!

I as well as many others I am sure want to know more about the specific, detailed differences between the HEUI and the Commonrail motors. Pros and Cons of each. Limits of each, HP TQ. Has anyone toyed with the idea of making a powerstroke into a commonrail motor? What would it take, other than tons of money...

May not be something worth building for anyone, but there are a lot of curious people out there.

PLEASE O PLEASE KEEP THIS ONE ON TOPIC UNLIKE THE OTHER COMMON RAIL POWERSTROKE THREAD THAT HAS MANY MANY PAGES OF ARGUEING ABOUT PONIES!!!

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 05:26 AM

I am saddened that the old thread got closed because there was a lot of good info in there you just had to dig through all the B.S. to find it
but just to get this one started I think the possibility of adapting The fuel system off a 6.4 powerstroke or a duramax to a 7.3 was mentioned in the old thread but that's about as far as it got.
In my opinion with the tunability of the chevys with EFI live and the fact that all of the 6.4's programming would involve all the emissions stuff, I think the duramax setup would be a good place to start.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacross
...I think the duramax setup would be a good place to start.
I've thought about it a few times and don't know where to start. I wonder if the D-max Piezo injectors would work with our computer signal.
That's one obstacle.
If, for some reason that could be worked out, then the injectors would have to be made to fit the injector holes in the PSd. I have not seen one, anybody know what the D-max injector looks like? If it's long enough to fit in the PSD head?
Other than the computer and injector, the CP3 pump seems pretty easy to mount and plumb.

Thoughts?
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
On the Dmax system is all the plumbing external? By that I mean not running through the heads.
I think somebody has told me that the Dmax injectors are not under the valve covers, so wouldn't a new custom head have to be machined to do this. I think then it would be approaching being a (Pardon the term powerstroke guys) "DuraStroke"

Alex C.

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 PM

I have never had the injectors out of a d-max, but I would think you could machine a bushing to go in the powerstroke injector hole that the common rail injector would fit in. Then you would just have to modify your valve covers to allow for the fuel lines. I think the biggest obstacle there will be getting the spray pattern right for the 7.3
some thing to consider is it may be possible depending on how the solenoids are set up you may be able to use dodge or 6.4 injectors with the chevy electronics and pumps. I think they all work basically the same it's just a question of if the Chevy's computer can put out the right amount of voltage and duty cycle to fire the other injectors properly.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 PM

99strokerdude, the thread that I started was great you just had to follow it. The setup I think we have agreed on was the p-pumped powerstroke. It has been done before by aleast two people that I know of. The p-pump is more practical and is proven in the 5.9 pullers and drag racers. A lot of custom machine work will be needed such as attaching to the engine timing and custom heads to adapt new bigger injectors and while your at it you might as well port and polish the intake and exhaust. There are more things to it. I suggest reading all of my thread.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 PM

It is sad that the other thread got of topic but hopefully this one will stay on topic and provide us with information. I think it is great that there is intrest and this could be the key to beating the 5.9s and d-maxs.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 PM

I think that while a P-pumped engine is proven to work great for all-out performance, an electronic common-rail system has more potential, to be streetable with just as much performance.

If you want to talk about P-pumping the 7.3 then that another topic. To keep things clear this should be about a common-rail engine only.

It would also be helpful if someone could get some pictures and dimensions of the 7.3, d-max, and cummins injectors side-by-side.

On the dodges the injection system is external, then runs through a fitting in the head and then back into fuel lines to the injectors. This is just so the injectors can be under the valve cover. That would probably be the way to plum the 7.3.

On the P-pump powerstrokes what did they do for injectors?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker01
99strokerdude, the thread that I started was great you just had to follow it. The setup I think we have agreed on was the p-pumped powerstroke. It has been done before by aleast two people that I know of. The p-pump is more practical and is proven in the 5.9 pullers and drag racers. A lot of custom machine work will be needed such as attaching to the engine timing and custom heads to adapt new bigger injectors and while your at it you might as well port and polish the intake and exhaust. There are more things to it. I suggest reading all of my thread.

I actually read almost all of the thread back when it was three pages instead of five. It just got too hard to dig through all the extra junk. I'm sorry your thread got so off-topic. I just thought it would be beneficial to anyone interested to just have a new one started that stays on topic.

Being as the subject of P-Pumped Powerstrokes took the other one off topic, I don't want to make that happen to this one, but I do want to ask...
What is a P-Pumped Powerstroke? I'm thinking something like a short overview of it, potential, limits, the idea behind it.

Thanks y'all.

Alex C.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM

All I can say is why? For the cost of some kind of kit, you could swap in a real CR motor? The 7.3 bottom end will never hold up. But thats all I will say.

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode