Strange Diesel fuel experience - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Sleeperstroke, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 660 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Riding solow on the Hog

Garage
Strange Diesel fuel experience

Recently I ran my tank down to the last dregs of the reserve, and happened to be close to a SHELL station, where I filled up with 19.75 gallons of diesel. I keep my knob at the 100hp setting and USUALLY, when I romp on it to pass, or just aggressively accelerate, it produces quite a nice, moderate cloud. After filling with the Shellfuel, however, I noticed that there was....Nothing. Not a whisp, not a burp. NOTHING. The power was all there, it ran normally, gauges nominal, but NO SMOKE. This initially worried me. I ran the shellfuel out, and the next time I filled was at my regular in town stop. That time I filled with 17.25 gallons, and LO. Smoke as usual! This puzzled me, and I made it a point to fill at another Shell the next time the truck got low. 18.68 gallons of Shelldiesel this time. ( I didnt fill it on these three occasions so as to compress the experiment time) NO SMOKE. Not even a small plume! One could see there was exhaust gasses exiting, but no cloud of black sooty beauty. Gauges normal, power nominal, ect. Not one hiccup at all... No, I didnt calculate mileage this time, but Im considering filling a tank of Shellfuel to compare its mileage with my habitual stops fuel.
Does shell proccess a "Cleaner grade" Of Diesel?

"MOby" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3 4x4. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a new "secret" blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its still not the fastest, but its quick enough to worry lots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Formerly NATTYGASMECH

I started a lengthy response. Truth be told I do not have the answer. I for one have experienced the same sort of thing lately. I will monitor this thread. I'm curious what some will say on this. Only thing I can think of is it is the additives the local station adds before sale.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
6.0 powered

It could be additives it could also be that depending where you live some of the stations can still get LSD vs. ULSD
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 PM
JD

I'm not sure but I really don't think that LS500ppm is available in California.Shell does have there own additive just like each brand does.Shell does advertise cleaner burning fuels even diesel.Truth is most fuels can be piped to many different terminals from one refinery.Oil companies "exchange" fuel to each other because they don't necessarily have there own refinery in a given area.The fuel in the pipe is additive free each terminal adds each brands additive before final distribution.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
4cstr

I believe that unless its offroad...ALL stations right now are carrying ULSD. I have a feeling that it is the additives or lack there of. By that...before I started dumping 2-stroke in the tank...I never got a wisp of smoke...ever. Now on the two-stroke...in my 80hp mode...if I get a bit aggressive with the throttle...I can produce quite a bit of smoke. The 140hp tune...um...it'll darken an intersection pretty quickly.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM
JD

4cstr you are correct,most retailers are not selling LS500PPM. Most pipelines don't want to pump it.It is available neer refineries that are still producing it,mostly for railroads.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
I believe that unless its offroad...ALL stations right now are carrying ULSD. I have a feeling that it is the additives or lack there of. By that...before I started dumping 2-stroke in the tank...I never got a wisp of smoke...ever. Now on the two-stroke...in my 80hp mode...if I get a bit aggressive with the throttle...I can produce quite a bit of smoke. The 140hp tune...um...it'll darken an intersection pretty quickly.
Dave its strange that you would be getting a change in smoke levels with the 2 cycle oil. As for the Dodge side it seems to just change the color of smoke a bit more on the dark grey side.

Just collecting data...:Thumbup:

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode