P-Pumped "Piston-Pump" Powerstroke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_Stroker01, this thread has received 84 replies and been viewed 13767 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

P-Pumped "Piston-Pump" Powerstroke

Here is another thread to keep the topic different than the commonrail powerstroke. I believe that the p-pump is the best option for replacing the HEUI. Even though it is alot of work and might take some money I am up for the challenge and would like to do it to my truck once I get out of college. I just think that the p-pump is cooler than common rail because it is pure engine not electronics. Here is two trucks that I know are p-pumped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv7TMgEr53o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEywPSWAI_8

Here some pictures of stroked out: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...01916439wrgILw

Please this time keep on topic as much as you can. I don't mind refering to common rail but there is another thread for that.

Thanks,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Here is some info on the 5.9 P-pump. Hopefully it will help others know more about this style of fuel pump.

The P7100, or P-pump, is an inline-injection pump that uses a cam to actuate plungers to pressurize the fuel. According to some diesel fanatics, this is the mother of all injection pumps because of its extraordinary capabilities. Although it was replaced by the electronic VP44 pump on the 24-valve Cummins, some heavily modified trucks have taken a step back and switched the VP44 for a P-pump because of its ability to flow large amounts of fuel.

The aftermarket offers dozens of performance upgrades for the P-pump, making it the Holley 4-bbl of diesels. Industrial Injection alone has three levels of modified P7100s: The Dragon Fly has mild modifications and uses stock 12mm pumps capable of 550 cc of fuel delivery, the Dragon Flow uses 13mm pumps for 800 cc of fuel delivery, and the Super Dragon Flow uses 14mm pumps for 1,400 cc of fuel delivery. All these pumps can have the timing modified.

post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:02 AM

Interesting idea, but I think you would need a P pump off of a 8cyl mack. But a 8cyl mack OTR truck would only run maybe 2100 rpm at most stock, so the pump would need extensive mods to run the higher rpm's. Might be worth looking into.

04 F-350 CC SB 4x4 6.0 auto 08 tow mirrors no muffler. ARP studs, IPR gen 2 delete Coolant filter, ECT coolant Xcal3 with tunes from Matt at Gearhead. Swamps 58volt FICM. 89 Peterbilt 377 N14 Celect Plus with a 13 speed mostly stock
post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 AM

I really like this idea and want to know exactly how you would hook it up to the engine and get it timed.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 MT
Interesting idea, but I think you would need a P pump off of a 8cyl mack. But a 8cyl mack OTR truck would only run maybe 2100 rpm at most stock, so the pump would need extensive mods to run the higher rpm's. Might be worth looking into.
I think that the V8 mack p-pump is a good one to start with.:Thumbup: Then mod it to run with the 7.3. I wonder what pump Ben Miller (Double Over Time) is running because his fits in the engine valley nicely and it looks like a V8.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:13 AM

there are quite a few choices for pumps, the mack pump. maybe the pump off 3208 cat engine. International dv800 pump (I think they run a Robert Bosch pse-8) John deere 8-955a pump ( acording to my service manual a robert bosch p110)
I'm sure there are several more options those are just the ones I know about.

Next you need to decide what injectors to use. I would look at what the tractor pullers are useing That way you'll have plenty of options for upgrades. injectors out of a dt466 may be a good option.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalDiesel
I really like this idea and want to know exactly how you would hook it up to the engine and get it timed.
I would run it off the top of the timing gears and machine me a gear that is in sync with the engine and place it in the engine valley. You could also run it by a belt off the serpentine belt, or seperate belt like a Dual CP3 pump
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacross
there are quite a few choices for pumps, the mack pump. maybe the pump off 3208 cat engine. International dv800 pump (I think they run a Robert Bosch pse-8) John deere 8-955a pump ( acording to my service manual a robert bosch p110)
I'm sure there are several more options those are just the ones I know about.

Next you need to decide what injectors to use. I would look at what the tractor pullers are useing That way you'll have plenty of options for upgrades. injectors out of a dt466 may be a good option.
The pullers are a great reference for injectors and pumps. I would like to make a streetable drag strip truck so that means no filling the block.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 AM

I dont think there is any way to run a p-pump off a belt because if it slipps at all it would through you timeing way off.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 MT
A P-7100 in the cummins 12 valves are governed to only run 3000 max. The governor starts cutting fuel at about 2600. A simple governor spring swap and that same pump will spin the engine at 4000 rpm if the fuel supply system can keep up. They make springs that will fuel up to 6K and I've heard of engines that turn 6800 rpm, so the technology is there if the pumps governor is similar.

Ideally the easiest pump to use would be one that shared the most parts with the P-7100 so that you could feed off of their massive aftermarket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode