Electrical chaos when starting... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Cerebus, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 620 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Electrical chaos when starting...

I leave the building at work last night and head for my truck. Hit the remote, the doors unlock and the dome light comes on. Get it, put the key in the ignition and it dings at me cuz the door is open ...everything is normal so far. I turn the key to the on position to let the GPs do their job and the dash lights come on like they're supposed to for a split second, then everything goes blank. Try to turn the engine over and nothing but an odd click from somewhere near the glovebox. I turn the key off, then backwards to accessory and it seems normal. I turn it back to on and the same thing, lights come on for a split second, then blank, engine won't turn over, clicking from near the glove box. Then some of the dash lights start flashing very slowly and dimly (at random) and there is a clicking from somewhere under the gauge cluster. The wipers come on super slow even though their switch is off. The clicking and lights start real slow but continue to get faster until they're both almost constant and I'm imagining an explosive device ready to detonate ...I turn the key and the truck fires right up. I drove it home, an hour trip, and everything was fine. Stopped twice in town where I had to turn the truck off and it fired right back up both times.

Then I had a repeat performance this morning leaving home and I fully expect the same issue when I leave work tonight.

Any ideas?

2000 F250 PSD, XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, auto: Autometer Nexus gauges, DIY-Injectors.com Stage III Hybrid injectors, BTS Transmission, H2E Turbo, DP Tuner F5 (stk, HI, 60t, 80e, 120r), 4" MBRP, AFE Stage 2 PG7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:55 PM

Sounds like a bad ground, back feeding through the electrical system.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Formerly NATTYGASMECH

This may be too simple, but last night I had problems. Different truck but electrical problem. My battery terminal looked fine but there had been a black colored buildup betwen the terminal and battery post. Probably from washing in the past. My truck coughed then the lights started dimming and the truck would not run smoothly. When turned off everything was dead. Actually it still told me the key was in but no lights, nothing else. Cleaned the terminals and posts. It's fine now.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:12 PM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77

Same problem on mine a few months ago. Cleaned the posts and terminals and all is well!:Thumbup:

1999.5 PSD, 4x4, Auto trans, 6.0 Trans cooler, ZooDad Mod, ISSPRO Trans - boost - EGT gauges, Wicked Wheel, 5inch Stainless tip, 315 75 17 BFG AT's, ProComp 9000's at the corners, Fumatomo Valve, Pooned tank, DP Tuner F5 w/ 80 tow, 80 econo, 120 race and permagrin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode