4R100 is the best trans?????????????? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokerDude, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 4316 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
4R100 is the best trans??????????????

Saw it said in another thread and didn't want to take it off topic by asking...

I have never heard anyone say that the Ford has the best Transmission....
What makes it the best?

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM
4cstr

This could be a loaded question. I believe that any of the transmissions in the big 3...behind a stock motor...are more than capable of doing what they are supposed to. Once you mod the motor and begin throwing high HP at the stock tranny...you really begin to shorten its life.

Once you begin the process of "building" the tranny to handle the higher motor output...then it no longer becomes an issue of which maker builds the best tranny...but what are the best options for a "built" tranny.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
So, when dealing with a built tranny they are all capable of performing at the same levels???

I asked the question in this post becaue I saw in the commonrail thread that someone said the Ford trans is the best one.

Alex C.

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Slow 6.0

i think the 4r100 is pretty well built from the factory, the torq shift is even better

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 PM

If you're referring to what I said I was saying they are the strongest when fully built aftermarket. They hold a lot of torque.

The dodge autos are pretty strong when built as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
i think the 4r100 is pretty well built from the factory, the torq shift is even better

Too bad the torqshift can't be mated to the 7.3

I think from another thread I posted months ago it was determined that it could not be done.

Alex C.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoMotion
If you're referring to what I said I was saying they are the strongest when fully built aftermarket. They hold a lot of torque.

The dodge autos are pretty strong when built as well.
I believe it is your post that I referred to. I wanted to make sure not to take the other thread off topic.

Alex C.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
I had mentioned something in the other thread about the Ford having the best transmission out there. What makes it the best is BTS. Besdies that the way it shifts as in the physical mechanical characteristics of it (not the feel)is much better than the allison and they seem to be able to hold up to more power than the built dodge trannys and cost about half as much to fully build. Give brian at BTS a call and he can explain it to you pretty well.

The basics of what he was telling me about the Ford tranny vs. the Allison and how they shift is the Allison has to unlock one clutch and lock another. This gives a feeling of the truck slowing down then hitting hard as the 2nd clutch engages. The Ford however has sprag clutches (a one way clutch) so that the 2nd clutch pack engages before the first one completely disengauges makeing the shifts feel like it's pulling the truck out from under you rather than slowing then going again. What the sprag clutch does is it allows the shaft to speed up away from the 1st clutch that is still partially engaged because the first clutch only holds the shaft while under power but if the shaft spins faster than the clutch it will freewheel.

Not sure if I explained that well but hopefully you'll get what I'm saying.

I haven't personally been in these transmissions so maybe someone who rebuilds them regularly can chime in and correct me if and where I'm wrong. This is just how it understood what was explained to me.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke
I had mentioned something in the other thread about the Ford having the best transmission out there. What makes it the best is BTS. Besdies that the way it shifts as in the physical mechanical characteristics of it (not the feel)is much better than the allison and they seem to be able to hold up to more power than the built dodge trannys and cost about half as much to fully build. Give brian at BTS a call and he can explain it to you pretty well.

The basics of what he was telling me about the Ford tranny vs. the Allison and how they shift is the Allison has to unlock one clutch and lock another. This gives a feeling of the truck slowing down then hitting hard as the 2nd clutch engages. The Ford however has sprag clutches (a one way clutch) so that the 2nd clutch pack engages before the first one completely disengauges makeing the shifts feel like it's pulling the truck out from under you rather than slowing then going again. What the sprag clutch does is it allows the shaft to speed up away from the 1st clutch that is still partially engaged because the first clutch only holds the shaft while under power but if the shaft spins faster than the clutch it will freewheel.

Not sure if I explained that well but hopefully you'll get what I'm saying.

I haven't personally been in these transmissions so maybe someone who rebuilds them regularly can chime in and correct me if and where I'm wrong. This is just how it understood what was explained to me.

VERY INTERESTING!!!!! Great to learn that.

Alex C.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Like I said don't take it all for gospel that's just the way I understood it when he was explaining it to me. Give Brian a call and pick his brain. Or one of the other tranny builders if they'll talk to you.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode