Blinking OD Light update... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Cummins_Beast, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 6177 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Formerly F350_Beast

Blinking OD Light update...

Finally got the damn thing to stop blinking. My fire chief who is a powerstroke technician did a scan on my truck with his snazzy snap on scanner and the tranny was throwin a code talkin about the torque converter slipping. It also said the MAP sensor was bad. Because my fire chief is a bad ***, he happend to have a brand new MAP sensor in his truck. So we popped it in and so far everything is great. He said if it starts blinking again that we would have to put in a new torque converter. Just wanted to share this info with you guys, thanks for all the help!

// BENNY \\
14.7 @94mph
// 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4 Laramie \\
// 4" Lift, 35" Nitto Mud Graps, 20" Moto Metal 955's \\
// Silencer Ring M.I.A, aFe Mega Cannon, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, 5" TBE \\

'97 F350 SOLD

--RIDING HIGH CLUB MEMBER #4 --
SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #95--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Found On Russ' Drive

:Thumbup:

Duct tape... turning No No No into mmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmmm

Stormtrooper::1997 F-350 CC SRW PSD XLT 4X4: 332 hp 660 tq. made with Baby Swamps, Wildman 4 pos chip, 120V IDM, CCV mod, shimmed FPR, BTS E4OD, Baldwin air filter,triple pillar pod with Isspro gauges, 4" MBRP exhaust, SD dual tensioner mod, diamond cut headlights,Recon LED tailgate lights Hadley air horns,
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350_Beast
Finally got the damn thing to stop blinking. My fire chief who is a powerstroke technician did a scan on my truck with his snazzy snap on scanner and the tranny was throwin a code talkin about the torque converter slipping. It also said the MAP sensor was bad. Because my fire chief is a bad ***, he happend to have a brand new MAP sensor in his truck. So we popped it in and so far everything is great. He said if it starts blinking again that we would have to put in a new torque converter. Just wanted to share this info with you guys, thanks for all the help!
He may be right. There actually is no sensor that can determine torque converter slip. The code was revised to transmission slip. Basically the code is generated when the PCM inputs from engine and axle don't match. Since the transmission is between them, it gets the blame.

A bad Map/Baro sensor would affect fuel mixture, which also affects rpm and speed. Hopefully it was a hard fault, with the OD light blinking constantly not just sometimes. Those type of sensor failures are the most straight forward to repair. The converter/transmission code slip is an educated guess at best.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 AM

My truck the OD light has been flashing on and off also. When the light is flashing the tranny shifts hard. the tranny is shifting fine in all gears and if i push the OD switch it still kicks out of overdrive fine. Then the light stops flashing the tranny shifts smooth.?????? any idea would would cause this.???

it has been doing this off and on for about a month now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Formerly F350_Beast
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippar
My truck the OD light has been flashing on and off also. When the light is flashing the tranny shifts hard. the tranny is shifting fine in all gears and if i push the OD switch it still kicks out of overdrive fine. Then the light stops flashing the tranny shifts smooth.?????? any idea would would cause this.???

try what i did...replace the map sensor. either that or it could be a speed sensor (in the rear diff.) have you had it scanned for codes yet?

// BENNY \\
14.7 @94mph
// 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4 Laramie \\
// 4" Lift, 35" Nitto Mud Graps, 20" Moto Metal 955's \\
// Silencer Ring M.I.A, aFe Mega Cannon, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, 5" TBE \\

'97 F350 SOLD

--RIDING HIGH CLUB MEMBER #4 --
SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #95--
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:50 AM
IS FREE!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to 6Lcummins Send a message via MSN to 6Lcummins Send a message via Yahoo to 6Lcummins
when my brother had a 97 the flashing OD light was a warning that his tranny was going, it did this every time it ate a tranny...BTW it went though 6 in 3 months.

12.56 @ 102 MPH Ennis Texas 4/10/10
11.55 @ 117 MPH Cedar Falls Iowa 5/22/10
1968 Cummins Corvette
All hard parts provided by Low Budget Diesel Performance and our sponsors Hamilton Cams, Pureflow Technologies, and PowerFlow Exhaust
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippar

The light and hard shift are related. Hard shift happens in fail safe mode. A shift strategy that is adaptive when the pcm detects a fault and flashes the light. Line pressure is raised to allow you to drive for service and have the service code read. Raised LP causes the hard shift.
I recommend you have the code(s) read first. There are many. 1 is tranny overheat. You have a tranny temp sensor on board. The best course is to know the codes meaning and if it's valid or a byproduct of another code before buying parts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 PM

Mine is doing the same thing. when my buddy read the codes he told me it was the torque converter lockup sylenoid (sp). Anyone had this, I am going to replace it and see if that fixes the problem.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Slow 6.0

make sure there is no water in the weather pack connecter where the body harness for the transmission plugs into the side of the tranny, that will cause all kinds of fun!

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Definately get the codes read before throwing parts at it..

In my experience the O/D flashed when the PCM got "Upset" about a shift. 2 months after it started doing this I ended up at John Wood for a complete rebuild as it was smoked!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode