2001 F250 under consideration - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by citrite, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 858 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

2001 F250 under consideration

Hey all,

My name is Bill and I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to everyone on the forum. I'm sold on making the move to diesel and on the verge of buying an automatic 2001 Ford F250 7.3L 4x2 from one of my company's dealerships in Texas. The truck ran well when it was first brought into the dealership with 236K miles on it about 10 days ago, but my contact there told me they were going to put new batteries into it this evening as they couldn't get it started last night. Does this raise any red flags for anyone here? Should I be concerned about it being an automatic and not a stick? The only other obvious thing here is a good dent in the front bumper, however we ran a Carfax report and it has a clean bill of health, no accidents, etc. I'm also wondering if I should be making a trip out there to check it out, though I think they can wholesale it to another dealership here where I'm located. Would it be considered foolish to buy a vehicle

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 AM

Garage
there are a few threads going on right now about the Ford transmissions, check em out...

About the batteries, I wouldn't worry about it. The diesels take a lot of power to start and the batteries were probably a bit old. I would say worst case scenario there Starter AND/OR Alternator. Autozone can test those things for free on the vehicle. Chances are the batteries were just old though, make sure they replace both. If one is done, both need to be done to avoid the new bettery getting ruined by the older one.

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrite
Hey all,

My name is Bill and I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to everyone on the forum. I'm sold on making the move to diesel and on the verge of buying an automatic 2001 Ford F250 7.3L 4x2 from one of my company's dealerships in Texas. The truck ran well when it was first brought into the dealership with 236K miles on it about 10 days ago, but my contact there told me they were going to put new batteries into it this evening as they couldn't get it started last night. Does this raise any red flags for anyone here? Should I be concerned about it being an automatic and not a stick? The only other obvious thing here is a good dent in the front bumper, however we ran a Carfax report and it has a clean bill of health, no accidents, etc. I'm also wondering if I should be making a trip out there to check it out, though I think they can wholesale it to another dealership here where I'm located. Would it be considered foolish to buy a vehicle

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
I'm assuming your last statement was about buying a vehicle from out of state.
I bought my truck from two states away. A good friend of mine bought it for me from the dealer auction. His service shop looked it over to give it a mechanical clean bill 0f health but, this truck wasn't maintained the way I like so, I've spent alot of time and money getting it into the condition I want it.
So, make sure your contact is completely aware of what you expect out of the truck. Get lot's of photos (underneath, unerhood, complete interior etc.) and just expect that it will need some work that your contact might of missed. One thing for sure, that truck is a great truck for a first diesel.

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Question

Well it turns out it wasn't the batteries that were causing the starting issue with the truck. Apparently the starting problem has something to do with the glow plugs...at least this is what the mechanic at the dealer is reporting so they are going to be replacing some or all of the plugs.

Being somewhat new to diesel engines I'm not sure if glow plugs will cause a diesel engine to fail to start. I guess the big question is, if it really is "just the glow plugs needing to be replaced," then is there potentially a larger issue at hand that I should be concerned about? Or can we just chalk up worn glow plugs to normal wear and tear at 236K miles?

For $6900 it still seems like too good of a deal to walk away from even though I will probably have some maintenance and repair to put into it down the road. Thoughts?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 AM

welcome to the forum, and as long as you have those mechanics giving it a clean bill of health, you should be fine, whatever it is that they finally decide is the problem. until then, you are getting a bunch of stuff fixed for free... and 6900 is a fair price.

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

D-Man,

(I copied most of it from my introductory post and didn't realize it was incomplete until now). The truck is out of state and I will probably be buying it site unseen (barring any further pics of course). I'm not too crazy about going back to an automatic transmission, but it is a nice truck and I might be able to get the dealership to drop the price a little further for me being that I work for the company.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Good luck, I think you will like the truck. They seem to be pretty reliable and I've found, with a little bit of help from the guys on this forum, they are not too hard to maintain. With proper maintenance, it should last you a very long time. Now it's time to start looking at power mods

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Talking

Power mods seem cool, but they can't be so visible that the wife can see them :Thumbup: I had to work long and hard to convince her of the need to move to veggie oil and thereby get the F250...though I really like the look of the dual stacks--oh well, I guess a guy can dream.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode