Newbie has diesel smell in cab question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by dpuhl, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1462 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Cool Newbie has diesel smell in cab question

Just bought a 1997 Ford F350 Crew with the 7.3 and the Banks PowerPack and Banks Brake installed in it. This is my first diesel vehicle and I have hopefully a simple question.

When at idle, I get diesel smell in the cab. Is this normal for a diesel, or, should I be looking for a leak somewhere.

Thanks...Dave...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
JD

Check to see if it still has orginal exhaust downpipe on it.This item comes off the turbo if it is orginal it will be kinda flat between engine and firewall. Both of mine had cracks in them under the heat shielding.You can have someone start truck while you watch for smoke.If bad you can replace with new round one for about $100.
Other thing is look around top of engine near fuel filter housing and in valley below for leaks.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Re:

It has aftermarket downpipes with what looks to be a neoprene connectors. I did notice one morning when starting it, I did get a little smoke from the engine compartment.

The gentleman who owned it did a great job installing the turbo kit, and brake. I guess he said he also installed the Banks stainless steel exhaust system; upgraded the transmission and was very adament about changing the oil every 3,000 miles and keeping the truck lubed. He also said he had a 60 gallon tank in the bed and had it plumbed into the fuel system. He said that if I want to add a tank to the bed, all I have to do is to remove the rubber fitting (cap) and run the gas line into the 'tee'.

Does anyone know what FW16 is?

He said he adds it to the cooling system to help reduce water pitting in the block.

I will have the downpipes checked for cracks and/or leaks. I will also check the front of the engine as suggested.

Thanks...

Dave....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 PM

Wink

there is only one downpipe, maybe you are talking about the hoses from the intakes (there are two coming from the Y pipe).
the FW16 is a coolan additive to prevent cavitation in the motor.
The little smoke from the engine compartment could be a blow by, maybe some one else chime in, because it could be normal but it all depends of the amount of smoke.

Good luck.

BTW welcome to the TDG.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 AM

i had fuel that leaked into the valley and it smoked a bit from the engine compartment for a few minutes. I would check the fuel filter drain valve maybe, could have a leaking o-ring there.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Formerly F350_Beast

Are you smelling actual diesel fuel? Or is it more like an exhaust smell? I would park somewhere that you can easily see if something is leaking. Maybe even put a big piece of cardboard under the truck and just go from there. Good luck!

// BENNY \\
14.7 @94mph
// 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4 Laramie \\
// 4" Lift, 35" Nitto Mud Graps, 20" Moto Metal 955's \\
// Silencer Ring M.I.A, aFe Mega Cannon, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, 5" TBE \\

'97 F350 SOLD

--RIDING HIGH CLUB MEMBER #4 --
SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #95--
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Re:

I'm sorry for my description.

It is exhaust smell I get. I have already checked for fuel and oil leaks and have found nothing is leaking.

The smoke I saw was one morning when I started up. I saw just a small puff as soon as the engine started. It does not continue to smoke.

I am going to take it to a repair shop that specializes in diesels and have them check the downpipe. They seem to be pretty honest. They are the ones I had check the truck out before I bought it.

I have a LOT to learn! I really appreciate all the responses.

This truck sure beats my old 1988 F-350 with the 460 gas engine. No comparisons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode