injector ? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Andy, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 804 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

injector ?

I thought something was wrong with my truck, so I put it on the computer and sure enough there was something wrong. #8 cylinder failed the cylinder contribution test. What would cause this and how can I check it out. All electrical connections look good and are connected. Could it be an injector and how can I test it for sure without taking it completly out or if it's electrical how can I check that.

When I was putting this truck back togehter I sent all 8 injectors out to E Lite and had them checked out they claimed nothing was wrong and they where all together right.

Thanks allot Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:18 AM

If they injectors were tested both mechanically, electrically and hydraulicly and are known good you have an electrical problem. Might want to check the harness more closely. If it's only affecting one cylinder it's probably not a HPO problem or fuel deliver problem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:31 AM

will your computer do a buzz test where it pops the injectors off with out it running. you might also try unplugging the injectors while its running and make sure it is that cylinder missing. then you might swap #8 and #7 injectors and see if the miss moves.

I had an issue with my truck where after the engine warmed up it would start missing. the injectors all showed up good on a test bench, I assume because it didn't make them hot enugh to cause it to mess up.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
If it is electrical it should show up on the buzz test. I'm assumeing you did that one when you had the canner on there? I always like to run the cyl. cont. test with the truck in gear with the e-brake set. This puts some extra load on the engine and will make a marginol injector show up easier. I also run the test at least 3 times to see if the same cylenders come up each time. I've seen some come and go.

It could be a scored P&B or something like that from debris that was introduced to the injector after it was apart. Or could be worn popit valves or a number of things. Only way to be 100% sure exactly what it is, is to take the injector out and inspect or replace it. If you pull the injector swap it with 2,4, or 6 and see if the miss follows the injector. You'd have to pull the other valve cover to swap it with 7.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks allot guys. Just to make sure number 8 is on the driverside farback right. as if you where sitting in the truck. I have just heard so many different approaches that I want to make sure I check the right one.

thanks allot Andy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
rock removal technition

you can check ther ohms throught the pins on the plug, would be the middle one and the next one back. or the 3rd and 4th from the front. buzz test should also pick this up.
also on the buzz test, listen for any difference in sound.
I had a truck that passed buzzz but failed cyl contribution.
buzz didnt soud right, pulled valve cover and checked harnesses,
then pulled selenoid off of injector (t-15plus) ended up that the poppett screw was loose, this was a rebuilt unit that had 40k on it.
on my 95 I had a dead hole also same situation, tore it apart to find the poppett screw busted.
#8 is driver side rear.

1996 psd 5speed 4x4 cc 8' bed, 3" body lift, 35's swamped, dp-tuner, intercooled, custom fuel system, no fan, and a few other goodies, 263k. 349.2hp sold
2003 7.3 4r100 4wd sc 8', xlt 20th anniversary edition
stock cept for duals. 260k sarted out as a 2wd xl work tk
Early 99 CC dually 4x4 4r100 dark lights, dark windows, stainless simulators
99 v-10 4x4 sc sb auto 275hp gas guzzler
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 01:50 AM
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke
If you pull the injector swap it with 2,4, or 6 and see if the miss follows the injector. You'd have to pull the other valve cover to swap it with 7.
Ford numbers its cylinders on V8's like this:

chrysler groups odds to one bank and evens to the other bank

so you would want to swap it 5 or 6 or 7....on that note i like to move the suspect injector at least 2 away when possible

UNLESS INTERNATIONAL DOES IT LIKE CHRYSLER,,,,wich i suppose is possible

e99 leveled on 35s
250/80, modded s300, studs, springs, push rods, adrenaline, swamps tuning, racerx trans
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed97
Ford numbers its cylinders on V8's like this: PASS SIDE 1-2-3-4 (front to back) DRIVER SIDE 5-6-7-8 (front to back)

so you would want to swap it 5 or 6 or 7....on that note i like to move the suspect injector at least 2 away when possible

UNLESS INTERNATIONAL DOES IT LIKE CHRYSLER,,,,witch i suppose is possible
IH dose it like Chrysler, odds on one side evens on the other but I can never remember which one is which. if worst comes to worst unplug one of the valve plugs and see what cylinders the code comes up with.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 PM
rock removal technition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed97
Ford numbers its cylinders on V8's like this: PASS SIDE 1-2-3-4 (front to back) DRIVER SIDE 5-6-7-8 (front to back)

UNLESS INTERNATIONAL DOES IT LIKE CHRYSLER,,,,wich i suppose is possible

WRONG driver side is 2468 and pass side is 1357. it is an IH motor, NOT a Ford motor

1996 psd 5speed 4x4 cc 8' bed, 3" body lift, 35's swamped, dp-tuner, intercooled, custom fuel system, no fan, and a few other goodies, 263k. 349.2hp sold
2003 7.3 4r100 4wd sc 8', xlt 20th anniversary edition
stock cept for duals. 260k sarted out as a 2wd xl work tk
Early 99 CC dually 4x4 4r100 dark lights, dark windows, stainless simulators
99 v-10 4x4 sc sb auto 275hp gas guzzler
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:49 PM
fordt

I think swapping it with another would be pretty easy to do and help you rule some things out.

BigRed, I edited your post so nobody would get confused on how the cylinders are numbered :Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode