Engine Block - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokerDude, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 537 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine Block

Is the 7.3 block the same in the OBS as the Superduty??

If for instance I wanted to get a motor to build so I could still drive my truck in the process, can a motor at of an OBS be used, but done to be like the Superduty ones

What are the differences between the two??

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 04:03 AM

Yes, all PowerStroke's from 94.5 to the end of production have interchangable blocks. In 1998 Navistar revised the block slightly. Biggest difference was more materail around the lifter bores. I've not heard of any practicle difference in strength between them though. I know of at least two pre SuperDuty blocks that are holding over 600hp with no issues.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 AM

^^ I agree ^^

-Brad Desatnik
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
All the blocks are NOT the same. And while you can run an earlier engine in an older truck you can NOT interchange all the internals. The later blocks have more material taken out of the bottom of the liners for crank clearance. If you try to run the wrong crank it will hit. But as long as you use all the right internals that you need to use you can build a short block out of any year to work in any year of truck.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 12:38 AM

I have a 95 crank in a 03 block?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1040 WreckerMan
I have a 95 crank in a 03 block?
I believe Geoff was saying that the newer blocks had more clearancing for larger cranks, so an older crank should fit in a newer block, but a newer crank will not fit in an older block.

I was thinking we were talking about swapping out the entire engine, not piece parting from one to another. Since we're thinking that way there are some other issues to watch out for, the bolt patterns on the heads of the older engines had 8 bolts instead of 10 on the later ones, they had smaller intakes on them. Also, the 94.5's had a different drain back method to the HPOP so the front covers were different in those years.

-Brad Desatnik
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick76cj5
I believe Geoff was saying that the newer blocks had more clearancing for larger cranks, so an older crank should fit in a newer block, but a newer crank will not fit in an older block.
That would be correct. The later cranks had a larger web. You also can't use a later cam in an earlier engine if you are going to run the stock mechanical fuel pump. The later cams don't have the lobe for the pump. The intake manifolds on the heads were different on the early ones like '94 and early '95 but after that I think the bolt patterns were all the same even with the smaller 2" intakes.

I wasn't sure if he was getting a bare block and having to piece together the parts or not so I wanted to make sure he didn't get the wrong crank to put in it. I think most everything else is interchangable.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks everybody. Y'all definately know your stuff! When I started the thread I was talking about "piece parting from one to another" not a total swap.

I was thinking that it would be good to build a motor as money allowed and then dump it in my truck when it's finally done. I knew that there were differences between the two, like the hpop. I did not know how "mixable the two were. OBS motors are a lot cheaper to get ahold of so I was curious whether an OBS motor could be made to be a superduty motor. but if building for power it looks like it would be better to just stick with a superduty motor.

That all being said... What would be the best year motor to look for??? I do know about the issue of PMR's. Are there maybe other advantages to the newer 7.3's that would be worth getting it and buying new rods?

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 PM

Anything '96 and newer should be fine. If you are getting a complete block with rotateing assembly then I'd try to get one earlier than '01 so you get forged rods. If you are going to put billit rods in it then it really doesn't matter. Seems I've heard of a few '95s cracking due to a weaker casting in a certin area so I'd try to stick to '96 or newer. I've got a spare crank laying around I'd like to find a home for rather than sitting in my dad's garage and I've got a good set of forged rods I'd like to get rid of if anyone knows of anyone needing them. I think the crank will need to be turned but other than that it should be fine.

466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM

The route you're looking into is the route i took. I got a junk motor from a 96 obs and started building. The motor was complete, so i didn't need to worry abou mixing and matching from year to year. It took me about 8 months of building and finding used parts to piece my engine together, and i swapped them out a 2 months ago. The nice part about it was I had a running engine to sell. I had the motor sold before I removed it from the truck. . .it's easier to sell a running motor in a truck than one sitting on a stand that was "running before removed".

Mine has been a complete pain in the butt since I put it in. . .i guess call it beginners anti-luck. I've definately learned a lot though. Let me know if you decide to go ahead w/this project, i'll fill ya in on all the things I've learned/am learining along the way.

-Brad Desatnik

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode