new here and need some advise - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_newtodiesel, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 600 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

new here and need some advise

ok i just bought a 97 250 7.3 4x4 regular cab. in excellent shape and want to do alot of mods to it. it is completely stock right now. what is the first (cheapest) mod to the engine to sup it up???? where can i get the leveling leaf springs for the front???? i have found a few but they are 100 or better(hoping maybe i could find some cheaper or used ones) like i said i am new to the whole diesel thing so any help would greatly be appreciated....:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 PM
TDG SinglesClub Member#90

First, you are going to want to call Dale at Tymar Performance. (509) 922-8785.

You will want to order a air intake, 3.5"-4" down pipe, and a 4 or 5" exhaust.
You will also want to order gauges while you are at it, Boost, Pyro, and if you have an auto matic you will want a trans temp gauge as well, plus he sells gauge pods as well.

o and as far as a leveling kit, i have been looking for those to i found one for $72 with free shipping here....

http://www.fatbobsgarage.com/cart/pr...ng-486-18.html

1996 Ford F350, 7.3 PSD, crew cab, 8ft(Line X'd) bed, 4x4, 5 speed manual, 4.11 gears, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 222,000 miles, DP-Tuner Chip NS 1200 high idle stock 60Tow 80econo 120Race, 3x4" down pipe, 4" exhaust straight piped with 5" polished SS tip, gutted EBPV, chrome nerf bars, autometer ultra lite pyro and boost gauges, alpine cd player, alpine speakers, Garmin GPS.

"Real trucks have 3 Pedals, 2 Sticks, and No Spark Plugs"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM

get the intake, exhaust, and gauges, then get a chip from tony wildman. then as you start upgrading every thing else like turbo, intercooler, injectors, fuel system, hpop, exc. you can send the chip back and he can re program it to mach your new mods.

If you don't have the money to buy a good intake and exhaust system yet you can do it your self for about $200
get a 3in. down pipe for about $100
remove the cat and muffler and replace them with a straight pipe probable can be done for 30 or 40
do the DIY intake about 50 depending on where you get a filterhttps://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=27195

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
If you want a cheap intake don't bother calling dale just get the stuff yourself and save some money. All you need is a filter, 4" 45° exhaust elbow and a T bolt clamp. If you buy an AFE filter you don't even need the T bolt clamp but if you get the paper filter that everyone likes to use and that comes in the tymar kit it's got a very hard flange on it and a typical screw clamp won't get tight enough. If you want to buy a nice intake get an AFE filter system. They filter good and flow good. And you can get the Pro Guard 7 filters that filter even better.

You can get the down pipes from any number of places and depending on what you plan to do will dictate what style you get. Some will bolt right in place and will bolt directly to the cat. Others you have to cut the flange off the cat after it bells out to 3.5". Some will go straight to 4" If you need to retain the cat then I'd go with a Hypermax or one that bolts to the flange. Stan's headers make a nice one that will bolt directly to the stock cat flange. The hypermax down pipe goes to 3.5" after it passes by the firewall and you have to cut the flange off the cat but you can retain the cat. If you plan on doing your exhaust in stages this would be a good option to get a down pipe in it before you do the rest. You can get the rest of the system from many places as well. Stan's has a nice 4" system or you can get just the tail pipe from somewhere like Advacne auto parts and just get a piece of 4" straight pipe to go between the down pipe and the tail pipe. That'd probably be the cheapest route.

Summit has really good prices on gaugs. And they have free shipping. I'd go to Autometer's web site along with a couple other manufacturers and check out the different styles and pick what you like the see if Summit carrys them. I know they carry Autometer and I think Isspro along with a few others.

For the chip I'd call Jody Tipton at DP Tuner, Dave Lott and Diesel Innovations, or Tadd at Elite Diesel. All three great tuners. Talk to each and pick which one you like the best.

After that stuff starts getting expensive. Most anything else you get to make power like injectors or propane are going to reak havoc on your tranny and that's a $4,000 bill to get done right.

Above all before you do anything decide how much money you want to spend and how far you want to go with the truck then build accordingly.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode