The Diesel Garage banner

Rear Disc Conversion

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  TurboTPI 
#1 ·
Has anyone done a DIY rear disc setup on a sterlin 10.25 rear axle? Im trying to fab up something. Im just wondering what calipers would work best. thanks

#3 ·
fuelman said:
TJBeggs on FTE did it he used E350 frt rotors and a Chevy caliper not sure of model.He made his own backing plate.Do a search or pose a guestion in the 94-97 powerstroke forum,tj will help you w/his info.
I've heard of using those rotors and caliper too. thanks fuelman.

#5 ·
Depending on how far you want to go, there are a few options. I have a '96 f250 and am doing a complete swap (front and rear) to the SD axles. Price is a little more than just doing an upgrade with components off of other vehicles though. It is a little intesive as far as all of the brake components go (if anyone has a brake system for a SD let me know) but should be sweet when it's done. If anyone would like updates on this project or has any other questions, just let me know.

#6 ·
TurboTPI said:
Has anyone done a DIY rear disc setup on a sterlin 10.25 rear axle? Im trying to fab up something. Im just wondering what calipers would work best. thanks

I too am after a very sound disc brake conversion set-up. I really would like to get away from my drums.

I have viewed the kits, such as Blackbirds. But I am a bit leary on using calipers from a Caddy. I just wish there was someway I could confirm that they are up to the task of stopping my truck, while loaded. It may be just fine, just would like some assurance.

I really would like to keep my current axle, utilize the OBS lug spacing, and upgrade to something like the SD trucks have. That would be ideal for me. And this guy did just that:

Example of adapting SD style brakes

Now that takes a bit more involvement, but I like it! Now it would be nice to have something like that in a more bolt-in set-up, rather than having to disable my truck. Can't afford that much downtime right now.

:shrug:

#7 ·
I would have to agree that that is a bit more involved, even compared to what I am doing. Thing is, his whole conversion is about half the price of just my axles (but I will have a solid axle F250 by the time it's all said and done), and then there were the new wheels, and I will have to get SD hydrobooster, master cylinder, lines and one more fr caliper (all told I am looking at about $2700).

#8 ·
Traveler said:
The rotors from a E350 single rear wheel can will slip over the hub, the '78 caddy calipers have the biggest piston with an E brake provision.

I was actually the one that came up with the van rotor idea.
You cannot see the pics without becoming a member
I actually already have van rotors, i figured it out and i didnt read it off the web. Being a tech, i realized that for some reason ford stuck with the standard lug pattern on the vans, so i pulled the backing plate off my rear axle and the van rotors do fit perfect. Now me and a friend are fabing up some caliper brackets for the gm calipers. So dont say you came up with the idea. It wasnt hard to figure out that the van rotors fit.

#9 ·
Geez, don't fly off the handle or anything, but crap when I realized the same thing you did, and then posted it up. All the sudden people all over the internet are having this great idea.
Even TSM all the sudden had completed their rear disk kit that had been in process for years and went a completely different direction then they were advertising.

So yeah I am a little touchy, so let me rephrase. I was the first one to post it on the internet and share with everyone for free, and I am upset that there are people making money off of what I posted and freely shared.

So hey, congrats. You are as smart as me, just slower.

#10 ·
I can see your point, but just realize that there will always be someone out there that would rather pay someone else to do the work and put the kit together for them than actually do the research and gather the parts on their own. Also, if you had the time and desire, you may have been able to patent the set up that you did and made someone buy the idea, however, on a kit like that it would be easy to change it just enough that it would get around the patent.

He may be just as quick as you too, he just waited longer to start the project.

#11 ·
Compliments to whoever made the conversion!:Thumbup:

I would like to do the conversion, but maintain a parking brake. Are the Caddy calipers the only option then?:shrug:

#12 ·
Traveler said:
Geez, don't fly off the handle or anything, but crap when I realized the same thing you did, and then posted it up. All the sudden people all over the internet are having this great idea.
I didnt want to come off as an A$$hole, sorry about that. I was just stating that i did find that the van rotors worked too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.