seriously considering compound setup, insight.. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by SICKS-O, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1229 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0

seriously considering compound setup, insight..

how do i figure out how to pair up the turbos so they work well together? slowly but surely im making more and more power with my truck and my next step is injectors but i dont want a laggy smokey truck, i figure the best way to keep my truck responsive and efficient would be to run two turbos to get boost soon and keep feeding air up top. so how do i go about figuring what to use?

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 AM

Hey Greg,
How come PSN is down like 23 hours a day?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0
Threadstarter

thank you i never even knew that site existed looks like there is some really knowledgable and advanced subjects going on there, love seein the 7.3L getting this kind of attention!

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
how do i figure out how to pair up the turbos so they work well together? slowly but surely im making more and more power with my truck and my next step is injectors but i don't want a laggy smokey truck, i figure the best way to keep my truck responsive and efficient would be to run two turbos to get boost soon and keep feeding air up top. so how do i go about figuring what to use?

First thing would be to calculate your HP goals, and that will determine what the low pressure turbo size would be. Once you get the low pressure turbo handled, we use the TN BB drop in unit for the high pressure turbo. That gives you quick spool up, and all the top end you can handle.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0
Threadstarter

well im not looking to break any records i just want a clean running daily driver, even right now on certain tunes it smokes like crazy below 1800rpms, then the turbo starts to come on at 2000 and is full boost at 2300, id like to start out sooner but have top end so i guess compounds are what im after. im looking to make around 425 at the wheels for hp. i was thinking of using a VGT turbo off a 6.0 with a duramax compressor wheel/housing and a GT42 that i found on ebay.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
well im not looking to break any records i just want a clean running daily driver, even right now on certain tunes it smokes like crazy below 1800rpms, then the turbo starts to come on at 2000 and is full boost at 2300, id like to start out sooner but have top end so i guess compounds are what im after. im looking to make around 425 at the wheels for hp. i was thinking of using a VGT turbo off a 6.0 with a duramax compressor wheel/housing and a GT42 that i found on ebay.
wow that sounds like it could get complicated but would be neat if you could make it work. what are you planning on useing to controle the vgt turbo?

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLJIM
Hey Greg,
How come PSN is down like 23 hours a day?

Jim, we haven't been down for quite a while since we switched servers. It could be an issue with your ISP.

Send me a PM

Greg
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacross
wow that sounds like it could get complicated but would be neat if you could make it work. what are you planning on useing to controle the vgt turbo?
well a guy on thedieselstop figured out how to make it work, i havent been able to get in touch with him anymore to figure out the rest of the setup but from what i gather a megasquirt ecu could be used to control it, the rest is tuning. of course its a lot easier said then done, esp with a daily driver cause i cant have the down time but it could become a reality.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 07:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
If that's all the power you are looking for a single set up correctly will most likely get you to where you want to be with a LOT less hassle. If you really want to do this go check out a book called Turbochargers by Hugh Maclnness. It has a LOT of good info on turbos and setting up twins.

A couple points to remember the entire system will only flow as much as the big turbo will by itself. That's why bunting was saying to figure out how much power you want to make and size the big turbo accordingly. Personally I think the HP rateings of turbos are a bit bogus as there are way to many other factors to say X amount of air = Y amount of hp. But if you figure out approximatly how much air you think you'll need then you should be able to get a good idea how much big turbo you will need. Then work on finding a small turbo that at your desired optimum rpm range is going to be operating at approximatly the same pressure ratio as the big turbo while both are stying in their maximum efficiency range. You'll at least want to waste gate the small turbo to keep it operating in it's efficiency range and not being overspooled at higher rpms.

Also when figureing what rpm you wan your peak efficiency to occur don't make it to high. You want to be able to take advantage of the maximum average power. For example don't calculate everything at 3200 rpm when the redline is at 3200 rpm. You will only get half of the average maximum power curve. Calculate it at say 2800 or 2900 rpm so that your peak may be at 2800 but your average between 2500 and 3200 will be higher.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode