Improving MPG with upgrades? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 02Lariat, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1199 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Improving MPG with upgrades?

Hello all,
I've been drinving a 2002 F250, 7.3 for 3 years now with absolutely no problems other than my MPG getting lower since I've retired in the great Pacific Northwest. I've upgraded to the AFE Stage2 intake, Edge Attitude and 4" exhaust bt have nominal payback in the last year. I'm averaging about 17 mpg. I am very anal with maintenance and my local dealer inspects it every 3,000 for oil changes so I know it's in good shape. Yes, I could do my own oil changes but I have agreat program where my oil changes cost me only $10.00 EVERY TIME! That's right....$10.00!:nana
I've researched and kicked around the idea of adding a WVO system to run veggie oil instead of diesel at $3.80 per gallon.
I'm curious about the propane injection system as well as an air/fuel seperation system. Now, my rig is a daily driver as well as used on my developing retirement property so I'm not trying to build big horse power and moster trucks like most I see on these forums. I want to focus on MPG and not lose performance.
Does anyone have any personal experience with the propane injection or air/fuel seperation either pro or con?
Let me also state that I'm not a diesel mechanic or junkee and if you start throwing around a bunch of acronyms, I'll have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I'm in the learning stages and am a hands-on learner.
Also, any information or education chips would be nice too. As I stated, I installed the Edge Attitude with no real increase noticed. Is there an additional chip to "stack" on it or is everything build in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Forget stacking chips.

Get Jody @ DP-Tuner to tune you an econo flash in the PCM.

Stick a tonneau cover on it.

ITP's regulated return for the fuel system may make a slight difference, but you'll not get near the ROI as you will with the economy flash from Jody. Mine paid for itself in less than a year.

Besides, if you get a chip, you'll forget all about economy; fancy yourself a shade-tree diesel mechanic; lose the "I'm not a junkee" status and start with the serious $$$ mod disease already affecting most of us It's the Ford diesel version of PMS - Powerstroke Modification Syndrome. It starts with posts like, "Improving MPG with upgrades?" :

I'm averaging 20.4 ytd in my truck with a high of 23.4 mpg. I have a set of single shot injectors to put in, but I think my heavy right foot will lose all sense of self-discipline as well as ruin my transmission if I go there.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the feedback. Now I'll continue to look for further education with what may appear to be dumb questions to the diesel experts.

I visited the DP tuner link you provided which now creates more questions.

1. It appears as though there's the option to replace the factory unit or have it reconfigured. Is that correct?

2. The edge allows me to view EGT, RPM, Boost, etc. Will the DP allow the same? What does it provide over the edge?

3. You didn't mention anything about propane injection. Any feedback on that?

I was averaging 24-25 when i was active duty and stationed down south. It's amazing what temp and elevation does to mpg.

Thanks again. More questions later
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Lariat
Thanks for the feedback. Now I'll continue to look for further education with what may appear to be dumb questions to the diesel experts.

I visited the DP tuner link you provided which now creates more questions.

1. It appears as though there's the option to replace the factory unit or have it reconfigured. Is that correct? You can have either accomplished. See below . . .

2. The edge allows me to view EGT, RPM, Boost, etc. Will the DP allow the same? What does it provide over the edge? Call or e-mail DP-Tuner to see if they can/will program the Edge with his 80econo program. I can see the RPM by looking at my tach; my EGT & Boost by looking at my gauges. Never even seen what you have which is why I refer you to the experts in tuning.

3. You didn't mention anything about propane injection. Any feedback on that? Can't really see it being worth the operational expense and it's addicting because of the extra hp added. You'll need custom programming because of the timing issues associated with using propane as well.

I was averaging 24-25 when i was active duty and stationed down south. It's amazing what temp and elevation does to mpg. Show me a spreadsheet where that was hand calculated, please . . . and fill out your sig to give us a better idea about your truck. 2wd? Regular cab? Manual or Auto?

Only person I've heard of with those numbers is Dave Witmer after lowering, building a custom funky lookin' clamshell tonneau, and airing his tires up rock solid.

Thanks again. More questions later
Keep asking the questions and browse around the old posts.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd