Fuel Bowl Delete Question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 6_Myles, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1076 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
I be Architect'n

Fuel Bowl Delete Question

What would be the disadvantage of running a fuel bowl delete with only a high-flow prepump filter and no post pump? I am still redesigning my veg. oil system and for the sake of oil temp. and purge times it would be better not to have one.

My first thought is if the stock pump explodes your injectors are toast, but does this really happen?

2K3 EXCURSION 7.3L 4x4 EDDIE BAUER 107K miles as of 06-13-07
AFE Stage II / 4" MBRP exhaust / DP-Tuner F5 (Stock, 60hp Tow, 80hp Econo, 120hp race & High Idle) / Quadzilla Commander/ATS Housing
Running homebrewed BioDiesel and custom SVO kit for 70k miles.:Thumbup:
Misc. Mods: ZooDad/By-Pass Oil Filter/203* T-Stat/Coolant Filter/HPX/CCV Reroute/Tranny Filter/Foil Delete/Stereo Stuff/ITP Reg Return/Non-EBPV Pedistal and Exhaust Housing/Adjustable Waste Gate Controller/

"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back to you it was probably a high-side."

I'LL TRY TO KEEP UP, BUT THE EXCURSION IS A BIG GIRL AND BIG GIRLS DON'T LIKE TO MOVE FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:04 PM

There are two problems. One being as you stated, no way to catch debris if the pump wears/fails. The second being you will have to run at least a 5 micron filter pre-pump. This puts a bunch of vacuum on the inlet side of the pump causing premature pump failure and making the possibility of cavitation much higher.

It is best to have a 10 to 15 micron pre pump filter and a 2 micron post pump so that you have great filtration from the post pump and great water separation from the pre pump, along with the pre pump filter keeping all the debris from getting to the pump.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:09 PM

There are quite a few people running a set up like your talking about. I'm actually running a dahl 150 pre filter, it has like a 2 micron rating and is a water seperator. The important thing is to find a pre filter that is rated for the amount of fuel your fuel pump can flow at the stated pressure. Debris from a toasted fuel pump could find it's way to your injectors if it does go out, that is a good point, but a number of people are running that very set up, and i haven't heard of any failures due to it.

-Brad Desatnik
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Pre pump filters smaller than 10 micron have been know to cause premature pump failure. The Dahl is one of the best for using the smaller micron pre pump but there are still problms with too much vacuum when the filter gets a little dirty.

Filter change interval needs to be more frequent as you go lower on the micron rating.

Eric
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
Dually Club Member #53

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 PM

anyone tried this setup and if so what are your opinions????

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 10:37 PM

I haven't used it nor do I know the specifics about the filter that they use but ITP does a lot of research before he makes up fuel system kits. I would have no problem buying that kit to put on a truck.

Eric
Dually Club Member #53

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehauler
Pre pump filters smaller than 10 micron have been know to cause premature pump failure. The Dahl is one of the best for using the smaller micron pre pump but there are still problms with too much vacuum when the filter gets a little dirty.

Filter change interval needs to be more frequent as you go lower on the micron rating.
Correct, it is important to have a vaccuum gauge on the filter so you can keep an eye on the condition of the filter.

-Brad Desatnik

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode