Help!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Burner718, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 414 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Help!!

I've started several threads trying to find out which tranny I have and what fluid to use in in and the differential. I've got all the owners manuals, including the 7.3 supplement. But none of them say which transmission is in my truck, and now that some fluids aren't available anymore, not sure what to use.
I've got a 1996 F250 supercab with 7.3 diesel. I can read the door label, but not sure what to look for, or if that even tells what transmission is in it. I'm trying to find out which trans. it has and what kind and how much fluid. Should I replace the transmission filter? It's got 157,000 on it and all regular maintenance is logged as being done per Ford's specs....not sure what the interval was.
And as far as the rear, I've got a 4.10 gear in the diff.....not sure whether to use synthetic or conventional. Always in Florida...would 80-140 be ok?
THanks a bunch!!

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 PM

You have an E40D in the OBS style. They didn't use the 4R100 until the superdutys.
As far as the fluid, I belive it shouldn't be the Mercon dual rated, IIRC. (HOWEVER I thought I read somewhere that Ford has "Rethought" that rule, and it doesn't matter now. (For the 4R100s anyway) Basically the same trans as yours though. I think Mobile 1 synthetic trans fluid is acceptable. I am sure someone else will chime in with absolute confidence for you!

2011 F-350 Lariat 6.7L CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metalic Tri Coat. Retired UAW from GM, 30.8 yrs.
Proud member of the Mo. Air National Guard since 1988, 4yrs USMC before that. Now a full time technician with the guard.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 AM

yes, you have an E4OD. your trucks just like mine. the manual calls for mercon or dextron II. but i'm sure there are other fluids you can use . i know that amsoil
makes an excellent synthetic fluid for our trucks.

1996 F 250 extended cab,4x4,7.3l auto trans,power adder cone filter, 3.5 inch straight exhaust, DFuser 18k mod.and veggie powered.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys...the Ford "yes you can, no you can't" kinda threw a wrench in it for me. Mercon/MerconV Dexron/II. Can't we all just get along??? What about the rear diff with 4.10 lim slip? 80-140 synthetic sound good?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:44 AM
TDG MAFIA #101

I'm not sure about your tranny, but mine is the 4R100 and my Uncle is a manager at O'Reilly's and their computer calls for Mecon 5, but different tranny might take a different fluid. From what I know, those stores stay pretty up to date, so you could probably go to the store and they could help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode