Clicking Relay - Caused no Start - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by AllOut0606, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 7353 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member # 70

Send a message via AIM to AllOut0606
Clicking Relay - Caused no Start

The other day my truck wouldn't start and there was a clicking sound coming from under the dash. I found the three that are behind the AC and radio. I replaced 1 of the 2 small relays and the truck started.

I also cleaned all the battery terminals and the grounds on the engine block. But it did the clicking again.

What does that clicking relay power and why is it causing a no start?

:RTFM: :shrug: :splat

2000 F250 7.3L CC Lariat 4X4 SB;

Performance:TS Performance Tuner///K&N Intake///Custom 5" Straight Pipe///6.0 Intercooler///B&M Trans Cooler///Foil Delete///Zoodad///CCV.
Interior: Autometer Gauges: Pyro, Trans, and Boost///Alpine In-Dash DVD Player///Audiobahn Sound System///Cobra 29 CB.
Exterior: Pro Comp 4" Lift///36" Super Swampers///16" wheels///Dual Hadley Peterbilt Horns///Viair 380c Compressor///Two 3 gallon air tanks///20% Tint///Warn Standard Hubs.

-Marshall-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 AM
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97
no sure what those relays do but its highly unlikely relays located where you say have anything to do with the cranking system, chances are its a bad solenoid or starter or something in that area....

those relays your talking about probably are powered up at key on and thats why you hear them click

e99 leveled on 35s
250/80, modded s300, studs, springs, push rods, adrenaline, swamps tuning, racerx trans
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member # 70
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to AllOut0606
yea they are powered when the key is turned, but when i turned the key to start the truck, it was that relay that did the clicking. I replaced it and the truck started.

2000 F250 7.3L CC Lariat 4X4 SB;

Performance:TS Performance Tuner///K&N Intake///Custom 5" Straight Pipe///6.0 Intercooler///B&M Trans Cooler///Foil Delete///Zoodad///CCV.
Interior: Autometer Gauges: Pyro, Trans, and Boost///Alpine In-Dash DVD Player///Audiobahn Sound System///Cobra 29 CB.
Exterior: Pro Comp 4" Lift///36" Super Swampers///16" wheels///Dual Hadley Peterbilt Horns///Viair 380c Compressor///Two 3 gallon air tanks///20% Tint///Warn Standard Hubs.

-Marshall-
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97
hmmm......interesting

still dont think it has anything to do with it but keep us posted with what you find

e99 leveled on 35s
250/80, modded s300, studs, springs, push rods, adrenaline, swamps tuning, racerx trans
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Relays will click if the voltage is low. It's possible that it's low batteries or something. Sometimes if you put a load on a battery the voltage will go down. Take the load off for awhile and it will get a surface charge which will possibly be enough to fire the truck. Have your batteries tested along with your alternator.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 AM

Mine did that nearly everytime I started my truck for a while. Turns out it was the PCM Power Relay? (I think) buzzing. As soon as I turned the key to "on" it would buzz for a few seconds under the dash/steering column. The truck would not start whenever it "buzzed" first. Appearently it buzzes/clicks when the batteries are slightly low on volts or have bad connections. I cleaned all my battery terminals/connections/grounds and the sounds immediately went away and the truck fired right up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 AM

What gtspowerstroke said. enough voltage to crank but not enough to power up relays/ecus. I had this happen and one battery was bad.

2001 Ford F250 4x4 CC SB 7.3l AT
Hicap Air Filter w/ Zoodad Mod
100,000 miles

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand for you."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Kip
In the passing lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke
Relays will click if the voltage is low. It's possible that it's low batteries or something. Sometimes if you put a load on a battery the voltage will go down. Take the load off for awhile and it will get a surface charge which will possibly be enough to fire the truck. Have your batteries tested along with your alternator.

2005 2500HD DIRTYMAX 6in lift, dual exhaust, afe airbox. Tuner soon to come

2001 PSD shortbed crewcab, ATS tranny edge juice w/attitude, Superchips programmer, Gauges, exhaust, 4inch lift w/35s, (SOLD)

Originally Posted by sledneck57
Your sweating like a queer holding a hot dog.lol.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM

It was probally that small relay that is used in conjunction with the daytime running lights..

I had a issue with it in my last truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode