DTC code help!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 99fordtruckguy, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 655 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

DTC code help!!

I just finished installing a better ECM in my early '99. It is still a stocker, but the truck drives and shifts so much better. :Thumbup: After installing the ECM my truck fired right up and test drove great. However after a few cycles of the ignition, I now have the SES light on showing the following code: P0683 "Glow plug control module to PCM communication circuit". I cleared the code but it came back a few starts later. The truck was running excellent before the ECM swap and had no issues. The truck now starts and runs excellent after the swap as well. Any ideas where to start looking/testing?

Secondly, the "Water in Fuel" dash light is staying on continuously with the new ECM. It never even lit up before (even during initial key on) with my old ECM. I drained the water seperator as mentioned in the manual, but the light is still staying on (BTW, I found no water in the fuel). No other codes showing except the above. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Anyone??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ok, I'm on to something here, but still need help.....The early 99 F250's in CA came with a "glow plug relay" and then the CA 2000's and up came with a "glow plug control module". This is a solid state set up and is a little different than a gp relay. The newer glow plug control module has a commnication line (wire) that sends info to the ECM all the time about the glow plugs condition, etc. Since I installed a newer model year ECM today, in an early 99 with old style relay, the ECM is not getting the "communcation" it wants through the "line". Which

I read somewhere else that you can upgrade to the new glow plug control module and harness. My main question: is there already a "communication" line going to my ECM from the old gpr that I will be able to use if I upgrade harnesses and gpcm from the newer trucks? Hope this makes since, thanks.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:57 PM

You may be able to have the new PCM reflashed to work without changing to the GPCM ....

Rick....

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
www.fordtransmissioncure.com
Special thanks to RacerX USA
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Rick
You may be able to have the new PCM reflashed to work without changing to the GPCM ....

:iagree

Shift improvements can be made with a valve body also. Consider a tuner or chip vs. the cost of re-flash or conversion to achieve your goal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode