Air Conditioning Questions??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 99fordtruckguy, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1349 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Air Conditioning Questions???

It's getting close to A/C time here in CA and mine has never worked. I hadn't really checked it out to see why until today. I knew that my condenser was very dented up, so I examined it really close and found a couple of the inner tubes (not fins) actually split open. Normally I wouldn't work on the A/C myself, but since it appears to be completely empty on 134a, I figured I would replace the condenser myself.

My questions are: Since the A/C has not been ran for a while, what other things should I inspect? I have heard that o-rings like to dry up. Is there a good lube to use on them or just replace them? I wil probably have the system charged by a shop once I replace the condenser. I guess any other leaks will show up then. I may have them dye test it as well. Any other thoughts or suggestions. :thanks:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:27 AM
TDG Mafia #95

PAG oil is what R-134 systems use. If there hasn't been any refrigerant in the system, then I would take the lines off and at least inspect the o-rings. There should be 1 at every connection. You can get the oil at almost any auto parts store. What you need to do is rent a vacuum pump (usually 15-30 bucks for a day) designed for AC systems, and draw the system under vacuum 12 psi, and then add the refridgerant. This will get all of the air out of it and let the AC system work to its fullest potential.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Dually Club #3

You might also want to check the condition of the A/C compressor clutch. Try and move the clutch by hand, if it moves and doesn't feel like it has bad bearings then it should be ok. If it is stuck or feels like the bearings are going out (you will know when you turn the clutch) then I would replace the compressor before you have it charged.

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 AM
TDG Mafia #95

You're probably going to need to replace the dryer. They're not very much, but they're full of desecant which attracts moisture, and if you have a hole in the condenser than its probably drawn moisture and isn't any good.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Is the "dryer" the same thing as the dehydrator or accumulator? I.e. the cylinder shaped unit near the heater box/blower?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CrowsSynthetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovaltruk01
PAG oil is what R-134 systems use. If there hasn't been any refrigerant in the system, then I would take the lines off and at least inspect the o-rings. There should be 1 at every connection. You can get the oil at almost any auto parts store. What you need to do is rent a vacuum pump (usually 15-30 bucks for a day) designed for AC systems, and draw the system under vacuum 12 psi, and then add the refridgerant. This will get all of the air out of it and let the AC system work to its fullest potential.
I never thought of renting a vacuum system very good idea i have thought of making my own but never renting one.
Bill

2003 F250 FX4 SUPERCAB SPORT XLT 7.3 PSD
Amsoil 3000 5w 30 ,Amsoil EaAU Air Filter ,Amsoil Pre filter-EaPF13,
Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
Edge with Attitude, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
5" SS Tip
, Transmission Magnefine filter, Sportman Tonneau Cover & Bush Fender Flairs
Now in the stable a new Black 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM

i would just replace it, take it to your mechanic and tell him what you did, unless he has no idea whathes doing, hes going to pull a vaccum on it a let it sit for a few mins to make sure theres no leaks, this will also pull out all your moisture. then charge it up, let it run for a while then pull it all back out, and take the orphice out check it clean it and refill it and be on your way.

Ford certified diesel tech.
96 F350 reg cab, black. stage Is, exhaust intake TS 6pos chip and a few small tricks. tranny built up a little and a billet converter. 4in lift 35 bfg muds.
3" cowl hood, billet grille, bumper with billet grille and fog lights, 10in drop rear bumper with lights and a dropped hitch.

90 mustang lx 347 afr 185s, vic jr efi, aeromotive fuel system, c4 , 4.10 31 spline, tube k member and control arms coil overs and control arms in the rear, 10pt cage.

05 f250 red ext cab grey int, 4x4 6.0 suncoast tranny, ats 275cc injectors, studs, aeromotive fuel system, turbonetics 70mm ceramic coated turbo, dual 5 inch stacks turnned out. ALL PARTS FOR SALE
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99fordtruckguy
Is the "dryer" the same thing as the dehydrator or accumulator? I.e. the cylinder shaped unit near the heater box/blower?
Yes it is.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 AM

Yes you should replace the reciever dryer/ accumulator. There is an orifice tube in the small metal line near the dryer. You should remove it and check for contaminants. Looking at it will tell a good AC guy how much oil to add to the system to bring it back to the proper amount. A new Otube is $3.

Truck calls for Pag #46 oil. I would replace all the O-Rings at every connection now too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Are the o rings a Ford item only, or can I get them from another source? About how many o rings are there in the AC system?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode