Serpentine belt broke How bad off am I? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JohnNolen, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 4396 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Serpentine belt broke How bad off am I?

I did not realize it broke until the temp gauge climbed to over heat and the oil light came on. I turned on the defrost and slowed down as fast as I could. I was driving 70 and with no power brakes and going down hill it took a little while to come to a stop. The temp gauge did come down before I came to a stop and the EGTs never went over 700. Oil temp did get to 250 - 260 range. Once I got to a stop and shutdown antifreeze was pouring out from behind the crank pully and there was antifreeze all over the engine bay. The truck had not ran out of antifreeze, but strings from the serpentine belt are wrapped around the fan.

Question is how easy do the blocks crack from overheating? Any other possible bad problems from overheating on a diesel?

Cost of a new engine and install?

04 X Limited stock

SOLD 99 F-250 CrewCab SWB Volant Intake zoodad mod , 4" SilverLine Exhaust, Quadzilla Commander, and DP-Tuners 60t, 80eco, 120agr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 AM
TDG Mafia #95

You should be fine. I would change the oil if it got that hot, but other than that I don't believe you have anything to worry about. Did it destroy the hoses?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 AM

Garage
Check your belt tensioner... Very likely culprit for the break... And with where the water was coming from, you may have toasted the water pump???

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Did not appear to be any hoses or wires broken, but it did manage to pull the oil dip stick out and mangle it. If the water pump is toast then any use in replaceing the water pump with a aftermarket one.

04 X Limited stock

SOLD 99 F-250 CrewCab SWB Volant Intake zoodad mod , 4" SilverLine Exhaust, Quadzilla Commander, and DP-Tuners 60t, 80eco, 120agr.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 PM

I would fill it back up with coolant and turn the engine over by hand to make sure there is not coolant in the cylinder causing a hydro lock. Then put a new belt on and fire it up. Watch the coolant level for a week or two and make sure it's not consuming a bunch of coolant.

The water pump possibly locked up causing the belt to shred. Also check the alternator and idler pulley's to make sure they spin freely. The tensioner assembly is also a good possiblity for trashing the belt. Make sure the tensioner is running true with the belt.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM

If the water pump is dead (the coolant may have blown past the shaft seals), I would recommend a factory replacement. Same thing happened to me, and the truck was overheating on small grades with an aftermarket pump. I swapped it out with one from the dealer, and everything was fine. Might have been a fluke, but I would want to change the pump out only once if I had to do it over again!

BTW, the water pump may be okay, and the coolant was comng from the lower hose near the pump. I would just give everything in the belt's path a thorough visual inspection just to be sure...........
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks everyone It was the water pump freezing up and shredding the belt. Coolant was coming from the seal. I needed my truck fixed before the weekend so it cost me 575.50 sucks

04 X Limited stock

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM

$575 is a bummer- That's 5 tanks of fuel!:evil

Glad to hear you got it fixed, though. Make sure you buy another belt and throw it behind the seat, just in case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode