The Diesel Garage banner

Overdrive light wont work

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  CrawfishPSD 
#1 ·
The light wont work at all. Chased the wires, nothing loose. Not really a problem for me just thinking about anyone of my family that may drive my truck 1 day. Any thoughts or ideas?

What am i saying? Someone else drive my truck? :haha

#2 ·
Can you feel the transmission come out of overdrive when you push the button? If so then the light might be bad if not then something may be wrong with the transmission or computer. Just a thought.

#3 ·
Nope. The tranny functions great, it's just the light. My question is can I replace the light without replacing the whole shifter. Or could it be connected to something else. I just cant see a single fuse being used JUST to run that little light.

#4 ·
yep the o/d switch is about 13 bucks and it pops out the end of the shifter also get a new bezel like 4 bucks cuz yours will break good luck

#5 ·
Did you try activating the switch while pulling the gear selector toward you? Mine doesn't light (or engage/disengage) either, until I pull the selector about midway and then try the switch :bang ...then everything works great.:D
I guess its a short that I just haven't gotten around to tracing yet. I hate electrical problems!!! :(

:usflag

#6 ·
It's almost certainly the wiring at the base of the shifter lever. Remove the upper column surround (have to pull the key to get it off, but it's easy). The wiring coming out of the base of the shifter may be severed, or may look ok... but it isn't. I was able to solder mine back together. Works fine now.
cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.