2001 F250 7.3L upgrade recommendations - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kcrowe, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 8495 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

2001 F250 7.3L upgrade recommendations

I'm confused! I'm having a hard time finding reliable recommendations on how to upgrade my 2001 F250 for both fuel economy & performance. I use the truck mostly for support & company promotion on dirt/gravel roads & highway - no sled pulling, lite towing, and no racing.
I've added a 4" turbo-back straight pipe exhaust, AirRaid intake, Fitch Fuel Cat, DP Tuner F5 (thinking of swapping for F6), 8" lift, traction bars, 38's, dual Yellow-top Optima batteries, 430 gears, performance transmission, John Wood VB, diff covers, Zmax (will try Schaeffers soon), Royal Purple gear oil, tire balnce beads, ...
I'm not happy with my open AirRaid system and am looking to change to S&B or AFE Stage 2.
My turbo seems to surge under heavy towing or spinning. Am now looking at ATS housing or Wicked Wheel or GTP38R BB Turbo upgrade.
Am looking at replacing intercooler with Banks or other as well.
Shopping for dual ram air hood replacement but having no luck finding low enough price.
Would like to switch to Kelderman suspension for smoother ride & higher lift but too expensive.
Researching Painless Water/Meth system.
Have been recommended to upgrade to Terminator? HPOP & DD bigger injectors.
Need to upgrade steering if go to 40"+ tires.

I'm torn between going bigger (tires/lift), performance, fuel economy, and off-roading. I mostly like the high riding trucks but that screws my mpg. And the more street/show upgrades make it less off-road capable or too expensive to trash. So many choices with so little money.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrowe View Post
fuel economy & performance.
Generally these two do not go hand in hand. Hence the potential for conflicting or confusing responses. Also 8" lift and 38's tend to torpedo fuel economy as Im sure you know.

Regardless, welcome. Im sure there will be much smarter answers than mine forthcoming!

2002 F350XLT SRW 4x4 CrewCab 160k 2" Leveling Kit, Warn Premium Hubs, Prodigy TBC, Hankook DynaPro ATM's, '08 Diff Cover, Foil Delete, Edge Evolution II, Tymar Intake, 4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Exhaust, DieselSite Coolant Filtration System & DieselSite Engine / Intercooler Boots!

Thanks to Dale @ Tymar Performance
and Bob @ DieselSite!

TDG Singles Club Member #73

Ridin' Dirty #64
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I'm confused! I'm having a hard time finding reliable recommendations on how to upgrade my 2001 F250 for both fuel economy & performance. I use the truck mostly for support & company promotion on dirt/gravel roads & highway - no sled pulling, lite towing, and no racing.
I've added a 4" turbo-back straight pipe exhaust, AirRaid intake, Fitch Fuel Cat, DP Tuner F5 (thinking of swapping for F6), 8" lift, traction bars, 38's, dual Yellow-top Optima batteries, 430 gears, performance transmission, John Wood VB, diff covers, Zmax (will try Schaeffers soon), Royal Purple gear oil, tire balnce beads, ...
I'm not happy with my open AirRaid system and am looking to change to S&B or AFE Stage 2.
My turbo seems to surge under heavy towing or spinning. Am now looking at ATS housing or Wicked Wheel or GTP38R BB Turbo upgrade.
Am looking at replacing intercooler with Banks or other as well.
Shopping for dual ram air hood replacement but having no luck finding low enough price.
Would like to switch to Kelderman suspension for smoother ride & higher lift but too expensive.
Researching Painless Water/Meth system.
Have been recommended to upgrade to Terminator? HPOP & DD bigger injectors.
Need to upgrade steering if go to 40"+ tires.

I'm torn between going bigger (tires/lift), performance, fuel economy, and off-roading. I mostly like the high riding trucks but that screws my mpg. And the more street/show upgrades make it less off-road capable or too expensive to trash. So many choices with so little money.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

It sounds as if you need to decide on what your goal for your truck is and then others can recommend on how to get you there.
Big tires and lift is going to delete both performance and economy.
I myself don't like tires anything bigger than 35's. JMO. I would drop down to a 4" lift and go with 35's Still gives the truck a good look and I'll bet you gain 2 mpg's just doing that. Not to mention gain power for towing and some minor street racing.

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Big vs Fast vs Economy dilema

I know, I'm part of the problem. I love all things truck & diesel and get sucked in by my racing buds then my off-road friends. And once I see a Monster Truck or Street Truck Show I want to make mods to mine.

My first love is riding high but realize it's not practical for my business use as a support truck nor making my wife let me back in out from the dog house. I bought the truck with a new Superlift 8" lift with 7" springs & 5125 Bilsteins as well as with new 38" Baja Claws, so changing to 4"'s & 35's will be tough. But this is most likely the way I'll go for bothe fuel economy and performance gains.

I'm also worried about towns/states I'd pass thru that enforce heigth restrictions like Utah has started. And climbing in & out of my cab or bed when doing farm chores is a pain.

Hopefully this decisive direction will help members make recommendations.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I know, I'm part of the problem. I love all things truck & diesel and get sucked in by my racing buds then my off-road friends. And once I see a Monster Truck or Street Truck Show I want to make mods to mine.

My first love is riding high but realize it's not practical for my business use as a support truck nor making my wife let me back in out from the dog house. I bought the truck with a new Superlift 8" lift with 7" springs & 5125 Bilsteins as well as with new 38" Baja Claws, so changing to 4"'s & 35's will be tough. But this is most likely the way I'll go for bothe fuel economy and performance gains.

I'm also worried about towns/states I'd pass thru that enforce heigth restrictions like Utah has started. And climbing in & out of my cab or bed when doing farm chores is a pain.

If it is a new lift, and all the components are in good shape, you should be able to sell the 8" for even money for the the 4" lift. Same goes for the tires.
you'll also like those 35's for when replacement time comes because 38's are crazy expensive.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 AM

I just realized that you have the 4:30 gears. Not sure if that will be too low for 35's if you choose to do the swap.
Someone else chime in

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
I just realized that you have the 4:30 gears. Not sure if that will be too low for 35's if you choose to do the swap.
Someone else chime in
I doubt if it would be too low. The engine will be revving up pretty good on the highway though. Try this calculator to check it.

/www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

2001 F-350 Supercab 4x4 Lariat
Real man's trans
ATS exhaust
Gauges
DIY Intake
Tinted Windows
33" Toyo mudders
Captain's Chairs
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CrowsSynthetics
IMO the simplest mod is changing over to synthetics.
Bill

2003 F250 FX4 SUPERCAB SPORT XLT 7.3 PSD
Amsoil 3000 5w 30 ,Amsoil EaAU Air Filter ,Amsoil Pre filter-EaPF13,
Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
Edge with Attitude, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
5" SS Tip
, Transmission Magnefine filter, Sportman Tonneau Cover & Bush Fender Flairs
Now in the stable a new Black 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Mod Friendly Title

Send a message via AIM to Zaairman
Quote:
The only lift laws you need to worry about are your home states. Another state can't enforce their lift laws on your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsSynthetics View Post
IMO the simplest mod is changing over to synthetics.
Bill
Yeah, that'll fix all his issues and needs... Like the turbo surge

Zach
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, X Code Springs, 33" BFGs (SUCK), Alpine W200, Pioneer "D" Series Kevlar 6x8"s, Sirius Satellite Radio, 12" Memphis Pro Audio Subwoofer.
20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, waiting on tires

SLAPS Member #153

Just because I kiss the prettiest girls and I drive my truck too fast, why does everybody want to kick my @ss?

Donut Video
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Garage
I have the wicked wheel in my 01 7.3 and I get absolutely NO turbo surge with it. I got it under a hard run with my dodge but dont get it with the wicked wheel. Also, if the lift is in good condition and you do want to get rid of it, let me know, I would definintely be interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode