Electrical gremlins please help. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by valcas1, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 1658 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Electrical gremlins please help.

I have a 1999 7.3 diesel that was bought used about 3 years ago for a tow vehicle. Love the truck, just not the problems that have been occuring.

I have replaced batteries and alternator because batteries were dying. If the truck sits for several days without running batteries are dead.

Because the truck was bought used I figure I should tell you that there is a aftermarket stereo and alarm with auto start. Not sure at this time what brand alarm.

Some of the things that have been happening and I don't know if any of this is related because I am not a mechaninc. I will list them. Back light in truck bed turns on mysteriously, wet weather makes radio turn on, fan has been found running in the truck when key was out of the ignition. Interior lights will not work when any door opened but will turn on when switched on manually.

I also aquired some kind of leak that during a heavy rain seems to drip right by the drivers side E brake pedal.( I am pretty sure that's not good) it is where the PCM is if I recall. I am working on that as we think.

Started the truck this morning to make sure the batteries were ok and ran for 10-15 minutes. Put my multimeter on it and the alternator was putting out somewhere around 14.26v turned the truck off to see where the batteries where and they were at 12.86... Then watches the volts conitue to drop like I was watching the second hand on a clock 12.86...12.72...12.55... Is this normal? Again I admit I am no mechanic.

I know I am about to go on a wild goose chase but hope that someone can point me in the right direction maybe give me a clue.

Since I can not buy the person who help a beer this is what I will do. The person that point me in the right direction to fix this problem will get a $25.00 AMEX gift card in the mail. I am serious!!!! You can go get your own beer. Multiple input may actually get multiple gift cards.

I really appreciate any help that you can give me.

Paul

Oh yeah, The horn stopped working last week... Go figure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by valcas1 View Post
Because the truck was bought used I figure I should tell you that there is a aftermarket stereo and alarm with auto start. Not sure at this time what brand alarm.

Some of the things that have been happening and I don't know if any of this is related because I am not a mechaninc. I will list them. Back light in truck bed turns on mysteriously, wet weather makes radio turn on, fan has been found running in the truck when key was out of the ignition. Interior lights will not work when any door opened but will turn on when switched on manually.

I also aquired some kind of leak that during a heavy rain seems to drip right by the drivers side E brake pedal.( I am pretty sure that's not good) it is where the PCM is if I recall. I am working on that as we think.

Well, I am no electrical wiz, so I probably won't be in the running for the $25 AMEX card ... but ... here are my suggestions based upon my experience.

First I would remove the stereo and alarm. Who knows how they put it in or wired it. I have seen lots of issues with home installs of this type equipment. I had a Jeep YJ where the stereo would go off if you turned on the headlights.

Second, it sounds like you have a short or intermittent connection. Maybe some rust in a connection. Definitely need to fix the water leak. If your 99 is like my 02 the area you describe is also the area your fuse panel is located. Check for water damage / rust in your fuse box.

Just a start, Iím sure there will be some more experienced answers shortly!

Good Luck

2002 F350XLT SRW 4x4 CrewCab 160k 2" Leveling Kit, Warn Premium Hubs, Prodigy TBC, Hankook DynaPro ATM's, '08 Diff Cover, Foil Delete, Edge Evolution II, Tymar Intake, 4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Exhaust, DieselSite Coolant Filtration System & DieselSite Engine / Intercooler Boots!

Thanks to Dale @ Tymar Performance
and Bob @ DieselSite!

TDG Singles Club Member #73

Ridin' Dirty #64
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM

No need for the gift card but thanks for the gesture..
I personally would start with the terminal connections and fuses. IMO
All hots and grounds, battery, alt to the fuse blocks.may seem a little much..Noted that the batts and alternator was changed, and the water leak is right by the fuse block in the cab, that's were I'd start..
If all seems to be ok there, I'd jump right into chasing down the stereo and alarm wiring.
since it's affecting the lights and horn.
When the wiring for those items are found you'll be testing for constant draw or open circuit on the main power and memory wire..Any amps installed for the stereo?As far as seeing the drop involtage after shutting down, the drop should stop after the computer, relays and interior lights go off..The alarm shouldn't be drawing that much..
Hope that gets you started in the right direction.. I'm sure others have some more thoughts, advice and will help you out on here that's gone through the problems you're experiencing now..Good luck and keep us updated
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 PM

It sounds as though your windshield has developed a leak.

My guess is your GEM module is going. If that's the case, the truck just won't start one day when you get in it. Mine left me stranded @ the NAPA store

Get the windshield pulled and the weatherstripping replaced. That should cure the water leak.

Then start tracing down the gremlins, if they still exist.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd