Starting new project--Upgraded fuel sysem - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by vader's fury, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1180 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
beware the dark side

Starting new project--Upgraded fuel sysem

Well it is time to start working on upgrading the fuel sys on my truck. I am trying to build a fuel system that will be able to support my truck up to 500 hp but want to put it together myself. I have a few questions though.

1. I have seen fuel fittings for the heads that go where the fuel drains on the heads are but they were listed for the rear of the head to increase fuel flow. I would think that if you would use them in the front and back of the head that it would work much better than the smaller ports on the top of the heads. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Also i was thinking of runnin parrallel stock fuel pumps to feed the motor with fuel since i already have a second fuel pump that i could use instead of going out and buying a air dog type system. That should supply me with approx twice the fuel flow as i have now i believe?

3. Replacing all the fuel lines with actual made-up fuel lines which (i hope) should eliminate the air leaks that the stock fuel system is known for. Probably use braided fuel lines although i am not sure what size i will use yet.

4. I want to replace the fuel filter bowl with the bowl delete from ITP diesel but not sure what kind of inline filter i should use to replace it?

5. I also want to use a regulator for the return to maintain the fuel pressure to the motor and then return back to the tank like ITP regulated return system.

I know this is long winded but any info or thoughts on this would be greatly appriciated. I want to work it all out on paper before I start to put it together then plan to document it and post it up on here as a thread that everyone can reference and use.

2003 F-350 XLT 7.3L 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73, Custom built 4R100, AFE intake, Turbonetics BB Turbo W/1.0 A/R exhaust housing, 238/100% Hybrids from Jim @ Rosewood, 5 inch exhaust w/ 6 inch stacks, Tuned my Matt @ Gearhead, Autometer colbalt gauges, Custom built traction bars, viair dual compressor onboard air system. Mickey Thompson Classic II Rims with 315/75R16 BF Mud Terrains, and 4 inch Rough Country lift kit

New Truck: 2000 F-450 XL 7.3L Standard Cab, 6 Speed Stock for now

Trailers: 1999 Jayco 30' 5th wheel
2004 Wells Cargo 20' enclosed trailer (portable shop)

Its not how fast you get there but how much you can pull on the way there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
BJS

If you're making your own stainless fuel lines for the whole system why are you buying the ITP fuel bowl delete? It's a nice piece but not really needed if you're doing everything else.

Dual SD pumps works and works well and will be more than adequate for the 500 hp you're looking at.

BDP sells a kit for the OBS trucks that contains two SD Pumps and is designed to be set up exactly like you are describing. save the SS fuel lines.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
The Following User Says Thank You to BJS For this addition to TDG:
vader's fury (07-02-2009)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 03:25 AM

I started building my own fuel system... Got a lot of parts but it became a real pain...

Bought the ITP system with the bowl delete, I really cant think of a better system on the market!

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
beware the dark side
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS View Post
If you're making your own stainless fuel lines for the whole system why are you buying the ITP fuel bowl delete? It's a nice piece but not really needed if you're doing everything else.

Dual SD pumps works and works well and will be more than adequate for the 500 hp you're looking at.

BDP sells a kit for the OBS trucks that contains two SD Pumps and is designed to be set up exactly like you are describing. save the SS fuel lines.
I realized that last night as i was looking into fuel fittings and lines that i will need. realized it would be just as easy to Y my lines and run them to each head. so i dont plan on using the fuel bowl delete anymore. thats why i wanted to post this up before i got it all put together so everyone could ask questions and give advice and hopefully it will make the whole process easier.

2003 F-350 XLT 7.3L 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73, Custom built 4R100, AFE intake, Turbonetics BB Turbo W/1.0 A/R exhaust housing, 238/100% Hybrids from Jim @ Rosewood, 5 inch exhaust w/ 6 inch stacks, Tuned my Matt @ Gearhead, Autometer colbalt gauges, Custom built traction bars, viair dual compressor onboard air system. Mickey Thompson Classic II Rims with 315/75R16 BF Mud Terrains, and 4 inch Rough Country lift kit

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
beware the dark side
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
I started building my own fuel system... Got a lot of parts but it became a real pain...

Bought the ITP system with the bowl delete, I really cant think of a better system on the market!
i agree that is will prob be a pain and the itp system sounds like a really nice system but i really enjoy doing things like this and seeing if i can and it will work the way i intended it to so...... I like the challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode