Cummins guy for help! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Jeffybuilt, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1480 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia

Cummins guy for help!

Hey guys,

As the title of the thread says, I'm a Cummins guy with only a little PowerStroke experience. I have a feeling I will be asking you all many questions in the near future, as place I just took a job at has all 7.3 trucks.

There is a 2002 F-450 that today, started kind of "missing" a bit. It's not so much a cylinder misfire (from what I can hear) but more like it sounds like it is out of time. The cam sensor has never been replaced, and the truck only has 62,000 miles on it. The fuel filter is new, and from there, I don't know exactly where to go with this truck. It is throwing a check engine light, but when put on a code reader, it shows NOTHING! From what I read on here, the cam sensors are very problematic; because of this, I am having my boss call Ford tomorrow and see if they will replace it under recall???

I also read something about some injection control pressure sensor on the drivers side block or something, that if it has oil on it, it is bad...? Sorry for the ignorance, but I only know the 5.9 CTD, nothing about the 7.3....

Thanks in advance for your help...

My truck wants to be a semi when it grows up...
Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

Certified Transmission, Mishawaka, IN
http://www.certifiedtransmissiononline.com/home-6.html

State Line Diesel, Edwardsburg, MI
(269) 663-8571
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 AM
ccp
THE MASTER OF DISASTER

Send a message via AIM to ccp
first off welcome to the darkside.
A good place to start is with a good scanner the information that it will give you turns out to be invaluable. without more of the information, (i.e. is the CEL intermitent or is it on all the time is there a certain thing that you do that trips the CEL , ect.) i can give you the quick run down of common stuff ive seen.
The cps usually just kills the truck it will drive fine and you will be going down the road and it just dies and sometimes it wont start but in my case it did and then would die about every 10 miles til i got it fixed. The UVC harness ( under valve cover) are prone to failure due to faulty clips from the factory, thank ford for a wonderfully dumb engineering idea. and that can lead to a miss and a lack of power. outside of the UVC and the CPS there arent a lot of real bad issues ive seen, make sure the oil level is good, (the injectors use the oil to fire) so if the oil is low it wont run, other than those situations without a scanner that will tell you what exactly is going on it kind of hit or miss guesswork. a lot of scanners wont work on the 7.3 or at least they wont give you a concise and accurate diagnosis of what is wrong im sure some of the guys on here can point you in the right direction as far as scanners. i hope some of this helps.

99.5 F-250 7.3 4X4 reg cab.
custom intake
dp tuner
suncoast/DTT Frankentrans
and a whole bunch of other crap i dont really need.

www.cabincreekpaintball.com

Last edited by ccp; 11-04-2009 at 04:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccp For this addition to TDG:
Jeffybuilt (11-04-2009)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccp View Post
first off welcome to the darkside.
A good place to start is with a good scanner the information that it will give you turns out to be invaluable. without more of the information, (i.e. is the CEL intermitent or is it on all the time is there a certain thing that you do that trips the CEL , ect.) i can give you the quick run down of common stuff ive seen.
The cps usually just kills the truck it will drive fine and you will be going down the road and it just dies and sometimes it wont start but in my case it did and then would die about every 10 miles til i got it fixed. The UVC harness ( under valve cover) are prone to failure due to faulty clips from the factory, thank ford for a wonderfully dumb engineering idea. and that can lead to a miss and a lack of power. outside of the UVC and the CPS there arent a lot of real bad issues ive seen, make sure the oil level is good, (the injectors use the oil to fire) so if the oil is low it wont run, other than those situations without a scanner that will tell you what exactly is going on it kind of hit or miss guesswork. a lot of scanners wont work on the 7.3 or at least they wont give you a concise and accurate diagnosis of what is wrong im sure some of the guys on here can point you in the right direction as far as scanners. i hope some of this helps.
Thanks a ton...Yea, the CEL is on constantly. The truck runs OK, just with a wierd "miss" sound. It dosent shut off, the oil level is good, and the filters are clean. Should I pull the valve covers and inspect these "UVC" wires/harness under them?

Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

(269) 663-8571
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 AM
ccp
THE MASTER OF DISASTER

the drivers side is the easy side to pull but before i took the trouble digging in with the wrench I would go have it scanned by a good scanner. it will tell the exact cause and keep the guesswork out of the mix.

custom intake
dp tuner

The Following User Says Thank You to ccp For this addition to TDG:
Jeffybuilt (11-04-2009)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia
Threadstarter

I will let the boss man know to have it scanned properly. I was not aware the 7.3's were stubborn as far as scanners go. Do you know of one we can buy that will work? As all our work trucks are 2000-2002 7.3's.....Also...After the truck is scanned, I'll post up what it comes back with. Then I guess I'll start my digging!

Singles Club #247

TDG Mafia Member

Thanks To:

(269) 663-8571
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 AM
ccp
THE MASTER OF DISASTER

i wouldnt know where to start when it comes to scanners im lucky and my buddy has a snap-on solus pro system. but outside of spending 4000 dollars on one of those, im not a hundred percent i would imagine someone on here would be able to point you in the right direction.

custom intake
dp tuner

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:20 AM

My bet is on the UVC harness. A CPS either works or it doesn't. When it doesn't work, it stalls the engine. A loose UVC harness can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

As for a code scanner, I use Autoenginuity. The Ford Bundle is about $360, all you need is a laptop. Or you can spend a bit more and get the domestic bundle, then you can scan all GM's, Chrysler's, and Fords.

The reason your scanner didn't work is because technically our trucks are not OBDII compliant. There are very few OBDII compatible codes that the PSD can throw, the rest are Ford specific. Autoenginuity handles all of those Ford codes (with the Ford bundle) and will even allow you to run diagnostics such as a cylinder contribution test or an injector buzz test, and you can even reprogram for different tire sizes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode