How much oil is too much? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by fordracer1, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1138 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
ADAF

How much oil is too much?

I'm talking about downstream of the compressor manifold. I have quite a bit of oil in the valley and am having a hard time tracking it down. What I did notice is quite a bit of oil in the intake plenums that are on the heads. Is this oil normal? Additionally, there was oil in the Turbo outlet and compressor manifold (although no where near the amount found further downstream). Am I looking at a blockage in the turbo/turbo pedestal or worse yet, leaking seals within my turbo?

-'03 F-350 PSD DRW Crew Cab Long Bed; MBRP 4" Exhaust; Auto-Meter Boost, EGT and Trans Temp Gauges;
-'90 Mustang GT; Summit Racing 347 Stroker Kit; 2nd Stock Block & 3rd Stock Trans; Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads & Intake; Ford "E" Series Cam; Pro-M 80mm MAF; 36lb/hr Injectors; NOS 250 hp Wet Shot; BBK Long Tubes; 3" Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 2 Chamber Mufflers; Tubular K-Member w/ Coil-Over's; 12 Point Roll Cage
-'68 Mustang; Wife's Project Car--Currently "Under-Construction"... Still...
"There's alot to think about, but nothing to worry about."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Tow Mater

did you check pedistal orings? could be your ebpv is shot??

*TOW MATER* 2010 F-350 crew cab long box single wheel, go recon running lights and a few other little things, more to come...
Singles member #208
BOMB Squad member #35
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

if oil is in the compressor and leaking out on the valleyI would check the shaft play on the turbo there should be NO in /out play see if the vains are chewed up it might be time for a new turbo

2012 f-240 lbsc 4x4
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
ADAF
Threadstarter

I haven't yet pulled the turbo off the truck...but the pedastal is dry as a bone where it meets the turbo and very little oil where the pedestal meets the block. As far as the play, there was no side to side and the compressor blades look perfect. I need to degrease the valley and try to find the source of the leak. I had to put in a gal and a half of oil the other day so it has to be going somewhere. I haven't looked at the HPOP yet to see if the leak is there. I was just a little concerned when I pulled the compressor manifold off and noticed quite a bit of oil in the tubes leading into the heads.

-'03 F-350 PSD DRW Crew Cab Long Bed; MBRP 4" Exhaust; Auto-Meter Boost, EGT and Trans Temp Gauges;
-'90 Mustang GT; Summit Racing 347 Stroker Kit; 2nd Stock Block & 3rd Stock Trans; Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads & Intake; Ford "E" Series Cam; Pro-M 80mm MAF; 36lb/hr Injectors; NOS 250 hp Wet Shot; BBK Long Tubes; 3" Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 2 Chamber Mufflers; Tubular K-Member w/ Coil-Over's; 12 Point Roll Cage
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 AM

Probably HPOP or HPO lines.

Could be, as mentioned earlier, the EBPV.

Doesn't sound like any fun.

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd

powered by DP-Tuner

My Photography addiction

Mafia # 27

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM

clean it up good and spread baby powder in the valley start it up and watch fot the leak.

2012 f-240 lbsc 4x4
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
ADAF
Threadstarter

Ok, Well, I still haven't nailed down the exact point of oi leakage, however, I have discovered something that is a little more critical...at least I think. I'm hoping that you experts can shed a little more light. I pulled the turbo off the truck and removed the compressor housing and there was quite a bit of oil residue in there. Now my compressor wheel had a little bit of dark oil like residue on the blades and I'm assuming that this is mostly from the Crankcase Ventilation System...cue the expert chime in at this point gents. Continuing on, I removed the compressor wheel and low and behold there is quite a bit of oil residue on the back side of the wheel and the compressor housing. No expert on turbos here, but I would say that the leakage limitation for the compressor shaft is zero. Well, being the inquisitive person I am, I pressurized the oil inlet port/blocked the return with 10 psi and noted leak down through the compressor shaft seal. Continuing with the exam/teardown, I noted about .002" to .003" of shaft play 90 degrees to the shaft within the journal and no play along the length of the shaft (side to side). Once again, not an expert here ...cue the expert chime ins...I'm looking at a much needed rebuild/upgrade? Am I correct on this one guys?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:34 AM
biz

pretty much all turbos have about .002 - .003 of play.... the engine oil makes up the difference i would imagine....

and the oil on the intake side of the turbo is normal if you havent deleted the CCV, which you said you still have...

im not 100% sure...but... I dont think you should have removed the compressor wheel.... im pretty sure they are ballanced after they are attached to the shaft by grinding part of the nut.

Also pressure testing the oil inlet and outlet may not be a good test either...remember... the outlet will never be blocked....

Im not 100% positive of anything I said above because Im not the person who engineered or designed any of the componants.... im just giving you my 2 cents.

2000 F-350 Super cab, Tadds tunes, AFE Pro Guard intake, 4" MBRP cool Duals, Nexus Gauges , Tubonetics Ball Bearing Turbo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode