A little help please - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by comanchejoe, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 2387 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Joe Boyer

A little help please

Hello everyone I have a 7.3 powerstroke built march of 99 it has a 4 inch down pipe and 5 inch the rest of the way a k&n intake one of those cheap 6 position resistor chips (z electronics or something like that my dad gave it to me) and some unknown computer programing. I took it to the drag strip and ran 16.1(I know its a dog) launching in 2wd on 35x12.50 mud terrains. I hope to get injectors by summer 2011 when the truck is paid off but i wanted to know if there is anything I could do to maybe get in the mid to low 15s this summer(want to compete better with the rice) maybe a dp tuner or turbo mods or something. hints,tips or techniques are also very appreciated(my rt's where horrible over 3 tenths). anything helps guys thanx.

1999 F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 6in lift 35x12.50 trxus m/t 5in exhaust k&n cone filter unknown programmer and 6 position resister chip 5in straight pipe.

1990 F-350 7.3 idi drw 4in stack turned up ip

1986 jeep comanche 3.5in lift 34x10.50 tsl K&N thrush glasspack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 AM
TDG Mafia #95

Get rid of the resistor chip and get a tuned chip, like DP or TS. The resistor chip is just a glorified 18K mod. All its doing is fooling the PCM as to the actual ICP. Get a DP with the 120 race and work on your RT's and you should be there.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluovaltruk01 For this addition to TDG:
comanchejoe (01-28-2010)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Joe Boyer
Threadstarter

Hey thanx for the help!
If I would install a dp tuner would the programing in my truck be gone forever or will it still be there if i would for some reason want to remove the dp tuner. also could someone explain the over boost code to me.

1999 F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 6in lift 35x12.50 trxus m/t 5in exhaust k&n cone filter unknown programmer and 6 position resister chip 5in straight pipe.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 AM
TDG Mafia #95

Im not sure what the programming is thats in the current PCM. However, it would stay if you were to remove the DP tuner. The DP tuner just overrides the PCM programming. Unplug it, and its like it was never there to begin with.

Overboost-MAP sensor reads more boost than the preset parameters in the PCM codes, and will defuel the truck to correct it. To keep that from happening, you need to put a MAP fooler (basically, just an air pressure regulator that keeps any more than approx 25 psi from hitting the MAP sensor) inline between the turbo ducting and the map sensor. You can build one pretty easily from an air pressure regulator off of an air compressor, or I think that bill at DFuser sells them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluovaltruk01 For this addition to TDG:
comanchejoe (01-28-2010)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
ccp
THE MASTER OF DISASTER

Send a message via AIM to ccp
Im not sure what kind of trans youre running but the stock 4r100 auto in a late 99 will not hold dp tunes very long if you wanna run the crap out of it, i know from experience, anything you do to one of these trucks is kind of an endless cycle of fix it til its broke. Just be very aware that it will put a hurt on your wallet. I dont mean to discourage you because dp tunes are the best i have ever run, but just know that they are good enough to break things and break them fast. I only say all this because you have a very similar setup to the one i was running.

99.5 F-250 7.3 4X4 reg cab.
custom intake
dp tuner
suncoast/DTT Frankentrans
and a whole bunch of other crap i dont really need.

www.cabincreekpaintball.com
The Following User Says Thank You to ccp For this addition to TDG:
comanchejoe (01-28-2010)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchejoe View Post
Hello everyone I have a 7.3 powerstroke built march of 99 it has a 4 inch down pipe and 5 inch the rest of the way a k&n intake one of those cheap 6 position resistor chips (z electronics or something like that my dad gave it to me) and some unknown computer programing. I took it to the drag strip and ran 16.1(I know its a dog) launching in 2wd on 35x12.50 mud terrains. I hope to get injectors by summer 2011 when the truck is paid off but i wanted to know if there is anything I could do to maybe get in the mid to low 15s this summer(want to compete better with the rice) maybe a dp tuner or turbo mods or something. hints,tips or techniques are also very appreciated(my rt's where horrible over 3 tenths). anything helps guys thanx.

Trash that "chip" and give one of the custom programmers you see here in the forums a call to set you up with better tunes.

Auto trans? If so maybe a modified valve body would help it last longer....the way you handle the right foot will play into the longevity of the trans.

You have the intake and exhaust already, so go ahead and plan for a set of guages to go with the new tuner. I would recommend the minimum of a boost and EGT guage...then trans and whatever else you want. Get a 3 guage pod and go with trans, boost, and egt's.

Then the next logical step would be turbo and injectors, more oil, and the list goes on and on....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

2002 F-250 Crew 4x4
Tuner: Yes
Transmission: Yes
Exhaust: Yes
Intake: Yes
Injectors: Yes
Other Stuff: Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to NotMyFirstBBQ For this addition to TDG:
comanchejoe (01-28-2010)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Joe Boyer
Threadstarter

Thanx to both you guys. I dont plan on anything depicted in your avatar ccp(he he ha ha) but the truck does have a jasper tranny with less than 30k miles on it. 4r100 trannys seem like junk the jasper is number 3 and my truck has less than 120k on it.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Joe Boyer
Threadstarter

truck already has isspro pyro,tranny temp,and boost so im good there. I wish i had the money for injectors I know ineed them for my main goal of mid 14s. speaking of which maybe you guys could give me a couple good injector companys and around what size I would need for mid 14s.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM
ccp
THE MASTER OF DISASTER

Send a message via AIM to ccp
Quote:
Thanx to both you guys. I dont plan on anything depicted in your avatar ccp(he he ha ha) but the truck does have a jasper tranny with less than 30k miles on it. 4r100 trannys seem like junk the jasper is number 3 and my truck has less than 120k on it.
haha yea i didnt really plan on that but it drove right out.....with backhoe assistance. anyhow yes a stock 4r100 is junk imo but like it was stated earlier it has a lot to do with your right foot. but if you are going to go to the track i dont see that trans with stock converter and valve body lasting a long time, with the 4r100 it just seems like a matter of time no matter what you do. but as far as the weak link in the chain the 4r100 seems to be it in every one ive seen so far. when mine went it melted the plastic washers, yes they use plastic in the trans it shouldnt get hot enough to melt it but that just seems like trouble waiting to happen. as far as injectors that depends on how much money you want to spend. a few of my friends have done the DIY kits with nothing short of outstanding results. as far as size the bigger you go youre gonna need the big oil, enough air which means turbo, and studs to hold more boost with a new turbo at least thats what i have seen from my friends build. i went with mild injectors and they run fine on the stock oil and turbo but my turbo is starting to go so its only a matter of time....im sorry for the long post.

99.5 F-250 7.3 4X4 reg cab.
custom intake
dp tuner
suncoast/DTT Frankentrans
and a whole bunch of other crap i dont really need.

www.cabincreekpaintball.com
The Following User Says Thank You to ccp For this addition to TDG:
comanchejoe (02-01-2010)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Not trying to start another "bash fest", but from what I have HEARD, Jasper has less than a good reputation with their quality. I have a buddy that is on Jasper revuild number 3 in a service truck. I asked him why he keeps playing with them and he says they just keep replacing under warranty........I would say to just get a refund.

Next time the Jasper quits, take a look at the HD rebuild by ford, a John Wood, BTS, or Suncoast trans. I have NEVER heard much bad rep on these.

2002 F-250 Crew 4x4
Tuner: Yes
Transmission: Yes
Exhaust: Yes
Intake: Yes
Injectors: Yes
Other Stuff: Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to NotMyFirstBBQ For this addition to TDG:
comanchejoe (02-01-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode