help!!oil pan rusted out on a 7.3 powerstroke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by fordpower6.0l, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 38336 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
mike

help!!oil pan rusted out on a 7.3 powerstroke

I have a 2002 F-250 7.3 and the oil pan is rusting out.I need to know if I can change the oil pan without pulling the engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:33 PM

I believe the concensus is you have to lift the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mutley For this addition to TDG:
fordpower6.0l (03-20-2010)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 PM

I always thought you had to pull the motor too, but you don't . Their was a thread awhile back that said just pull the tranny take the hood off and the fan and shroud disconnect the batts and motor mount bolts lift the motor with a hoist . IIRC cumminsdude2001 posted this , maybe he will chime in .

Dusty

2000 ext cab XLT lariat F-350, 4in turbo back exaust, 5in stainless mbrp tip ,triple pod piller filled with isspro boost, trans temp and pyro gauges, sonnax/tricumulator, ccv mod, ebpv delete, air heater delete, foil delete, zoo dad mod, afe stage 1 intake , WW, 2in front leveling kit, Ported turbo shourd, DP tuner with 40,80,120 tunes, 16.5 x 10 in MT wrapped with BFG's

99 F-250 ext cab XLT Wifes ride . Bone stock for now

Ridin Dirty #59

B.O.M.B Squad # 78
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Stroker PSD For this addition to TDG:
fordpower6.0l (03-20-2010)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
mike
Threadstarter

oil pan swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
I believe the concensus is you have to lift the engine.
when you say lift the engine do you mean pull it out or just lift it enough to have clearance to pull it out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 AM
Mod Friendly Title

Send a message via AIM to Zaairman
You're either taking the transmission out (and lifting the motor as much as possible) or pulling the motor all the way out of the truck. Either way, major work is required.

Zach
2000/2006ish Ford F-250 Larryette 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4
5" Sewer Pipe Exhaust (video clip), DIY 6637 Intake, Wicked Wheel'd, De-foiled, Missing EBPV, Edge Juice with Attitude, X Code Springs, 33" BFGs (SUCK), Alpine W200, Pioneer "D" Series Kevlar 6x8"s, Sirius Satellite Radio, 12" Memphis Pro Audio Subwoofer.
20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs, waiting on tires

SLAPS Member #153

Just because I kiss the prettiest girls and I drive my truck too fast, why does everybody want to kick my @ss?

Donut Video
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 AM

I just did this last week to my truck.All you need to do is unbolt trans slide it back.I would remove turbo for better clearance although I did not remove it would have helped though.unhook battery cables.Remove fan and shroud.IC tubes need to go also fresh air intake.Hook up hoist, unbolt motor ,lift motor about 6" and slide forward.Remove pan and clean very well take extra time to clean all oil out of bottom end.I used a end grinder with a sanding pad to clean the area where the pan seals.Oil will fubar your gasket so like I said take time to clean it.If you got time let it sit for a day so oil can leak down and you can clean it good.Use ford oil pan so you don't have to fight it in place.Also put a few extra coats of paint on it before you install it.You can use ford sealent which every one will say you have to to prevent oil from foaming.I used it it was only like 16 bucks pan was like 85 or so.I believe the sealant is TA-30 or 31.Ford dealer will know if you ask.I will say a mech at work said that the right stuff sealant will not cause the oil to foam either.I trust him he is in mid 50s and has worked on heavy equipment for his entire working life.But, trust can get you killed too!
If you do a search I had posted the same question you did.

99F-250 cold air
Dp40t,80t,80e,120r
gt38r 4" pipes
The Following User Says Thank You to smokeone For this addition to TDG:
fordpower6.0l (03-21-2010)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:40 AM

I said all you need to do.That may be a bad choice of words.It is a job no matter how you go about it.Good luck

99F-250 cold air
Dp40t,80t,80e,120r
gt38r 4" pipes
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
mike
Threadstarter

oli pan

my oil pan is rusted out in several places oil leaking from 5 holes I patched them with steel putty for now .have u ever heard of a flaw on these pans for rusting out.I'VE RESEARCHED THE INTERNET AND FOUND THIS TO BE A PROBLEM FORD HAD BUT FAILED TO RECALL I guess it is too big of a pain in the *****. hey thanks for the help will start the project soon .THANKS MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeone View Post
I just did this last
week to my truck.All you need to do is unbolt trans slide it back.I would remove turbo for better clearance although I did not remove it would have helped though.unhook battery cables.Remove fan and shroud.IC tubes need to go also fresh air intake.Hook up hoist, unbolt motor ,lift motor about 6" and slide forward.Remove pan and clean very well take extra time to clean all oil out of bottom end.I used a end grinder with a sanding pad to clean the area where the pan seals.Oil will fubar your gasket so like I said take time to clean it.If you got time let it sit for a day so oil can leak down and you can clean it good.Use ford oil pan so you don't have to fight it in place.Also put a few extra coats of paint on it before you install it.You can use ford sealent which every one will say you have to to prevent oil from foaming.I used it it was only like 16 bucks pan was like 85 or so.I believe the sealant is TA-30 or 31.Ford dealer will know if you ask.I will say a mech at work said that the right stuff sealant will not cause the oil to foam either.I trust him he is in mid 50s and has worked on heavy equipment for his entire working life.But, trust can get you killed too!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeone View Post
I just did this last week to my truck.All you need to do is unbolt trans slide it back.I would remove turbo for better clearance although I did not remove it would have helped though.unhook battery cables.Remove fan and shroud.IC tubes need to go also fresh air intake.Hook up hoist, unbolt motor ,lift motor about 6" and slide forward.Remove pan and clean very well take extra time to clean all oil out of bottom end.I used a end grinder with a sanding pad to clean the area where the pan seals.Oil will fubar your gasket so like I said take time to clean it.If you got time let it sit for a day so oil can leak down and you can clean it good.Use ford oil pan so you don't have to fight it in place.Also put a few extra coats of paint on it before you install it.You can use ford sealent which every one will say you have to to prevent oil from foaming.I used it it was only like 16 bucks pan was like 85 or so.I believe the sealant is TA-30 or 31.Ford dealer will know if you ask.I will say a mech at work said that the right stuff sealant will not cause the oil to foam either.I trust him he is in mid 50s and has worked on heavy equipment for his entire working life.But, trust can get you killed too!

And you would know dude, as I gave you some handy advise. Glad it worked out for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to cumminsdude2001 For this addition to TDG:
smokeone (03-23-2010)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpower6.0l View Post
my oil pan is rusted out in several places oil leaking from 5 holes I patched them with steel putty for now .have u ever heard of a flaw on these pans for rusting out.I'VE RESEARCHED THE INTERNET AND FOUND THIS TO BE A PROBLEM FORD HAD BUT FAILED TO RECALL I guess it is too big of a pain in the *****. hey thanks for the help will start the project soon .THANKS MIKE

Yes it was a common problem with fords. What would happen is the road grime would chip the factory paint. If you live in an area where they treat the roads in the winter with salt or calcium, then the chemicals end up getting into and behind the chipped paint and starts rusting out the oil pan. Before you know it after 2 or 3 years, sometimes sooner, you end up replacing the oil pan.

You can remove the oil pan on the superduty trucks with engine still in the truck, but not with out a lot of work involved. The tranny needs to be disconnected and just moved back about 12". You need to do that in order to lift the engine with an engine hoist. You need to disconnect your batteries, unbolt the motor mounts, remove your fan and fan shroud, remove your hood, and remove your front and rear driveshafts. You will also need an air chisel to break the pan seal away from the bottom of the block. The powerstrokes don't use a pan gasket. It is a special cement for the pans from ford so the oil pan don't leak caused by vibrations from the engine overtime. Make sure you pick some up at the local dealer because you will need it. It is the best stuff I have seen that works wonders to seal up the oil pans. No more worries about leaking gaskets after they get old. This stuff will last the life of the engine as long as the oil pan stays in mint condition. Before or after the pan is in, make sure you use 2 cans of rubberized undercoating on the oil pan. This will keep it mint and will live a long life with the engine. Plan on a weekend dude so you can take your time. Try and have a buddy help you with this job, because it will make things go smoother. Good luck and please take your time.

Last edited by cumminsdude2001; 03-22-2010 at 03:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cumminsdude2001 For this addition to TDG:
fordpower6.0l (03-22-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode