how long will oil pan epoxy last? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by classic, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 5806 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

how long will oil pan epoxy last?

Hi guys, I just picked up another 2001 F 250 and like an idiot I never looked at the oil pan. This is my 3rd powerstroke and the first with a pan problem, although I know it is common. I have a friend that put epoxy on his pan and says it solved the problem, my question is for how long? Should I chance the epoxy route, the leak is just a couple of drops over nite, or get rid of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Powered By Ford

you could epoxy it for now but you definitly want to replace the pan.......dont sell the truck over it..
The Following User Says Thank You to FordRacing200 For this addition to TDG:
classic (03-26-2010)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Drain the oil, grind the pan clean everywhere you can reach, and go to Home Depot and buy 3 or 4 of their epoxy tubes/kits. Apply it with a putty knife. That's what I did and for $30 or so it'll last a long time till you pull the motor to replace the pan.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:44 PM

I used this trick years ago on a car that had severall leaks in the pan. Took some short screws with large heads put a tight rubber o ring on them and screwed them into the pinholes. never leaked again for the few years i had it after that
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I drained the oil yesterday and am going to epoxy it this afternoon. I don't need it til Monday so I wont put oil in it til tomoro nite, hopefully all will be well for a while anyway. Thanks

Violence Solves Everything
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 AM
crazy over a blazer

I signed up on this forum just to say good luck to you.

I'm about to do the same thing to an aluminum pan on a 97 Blazer. I'd get some aluminum brazing rods, but I'm afraid if I heat the pan with a propane torch, it'll ignite any oil left in the pan. So I'm thinking epoxy.
Have to pull the engine to replace the pan. That's going to cost a small fortune, that I don't have.

I'm checking tomorrow to see if it worked for you.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randycgaz View Post
I signed up on this forum just to say good luck to you.

I'm about to do the same thing to an aluminum pan on a 97 Blazer. I'd get some aluminum brazing rods, but I'm afraid if I heat the pan with a propane torch, it'll ignite any oil left in the pan. So I'm thinking epoxy.
Have to pull the engine to replace the pan. That's going to cost a small fortune, that I don't have.

I'm checking tomorrow to see if it worked for you.
I actualy used JB weld, I drained the oil, jacked the truck up so the oil draining from the engine ran away from the area I needed to fix, ground the paint and rust off then I used short screws with JB weld on them to screw into the holes, I let that set up for a few hours then gave the rest of the pan that needed fixin a good coating of JB. I let the truck sit for a day before putting oil in it and painting the pan. It's only been a day but no leaks. I ran into a guy at advance auto that did his 2 years ago and he says it is still not leaking. Good luck with yours.

Violence Solves Everything
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 AM
crazy over a blazer

Good going classic.

I used JB weld putty. I stuffed the putty up there and pressed it in and around the hole as well as icould. I had to use a screwdriver to press part of it on because it was so tight between the transfer case? and the pan. In fact that's what knocked the hole in it when the son hit an suv in the rear. Got the new front clip on put in oil and bam!, that baby leaked!
Anyway, the putty worked, bu because I wasn't able to press it hard enough way up there, it still drips a bit. Doesn't leak while running because the oils up in the engine but after stopping it drips a bit till the oil cools, then just barely.

Glad to know it worked for you.

Last edited by randycgaz; 04-07-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode